My new ranger-and I`m praying this isn`t a dumb question??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Well that bedliner is really sweet--But??

We have the holes on the top for stakes, and we have the round holes (vertical) for the tiedowns. I am seeing those holes getting clogged when I start my annual (pickup the bark mulch,top soil, composted fertilizer, crushed screenings) -- next month.

Wondering if just duct- taping over them will keep the crap out? Or what? Really don`t want to get into the mess of having to try and remove the liner to get the gunk out from underneath it all the time. Tarp maybe, but thinking like before when I tried that it just sagged and the crap still managed to get under it. Plugging the holes, or whatever seems like the best solution?

Thoughts? Suggestions? :roll:

Paint on bed liners are the way to go.

One of the happiest moments in my 10+ year ownership of my '94 Ferd Ranger was when I removed the bed liner! And then when some fool picked it up from my front yard for free. I hates bedliners. Of course, we don't really have weather in So. Calif. (other than hot), so rust is not an issue here unless you live near the beach.

There was a bunch of junk under the liner when I took it off ... but I just swept it out, no prob.

I'm of the "it's a truck, not a beauty queen" school, anyway.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Those bed liners and gas cans are an explosive combo. Been many a service station go up in flames because of the static electricity from them. Never, I mean NEVER fill a gas can while it sits on a bed liner. Take it out and set it on the ground to fill.

I also say to ditch that plastic bedliner. They are as slick as snot when wet. Items in the bed will slide easier including your feet. Usually though it is just one foot and the other stays in place leading to the splits and a ruined groin.

Take a garden hose and jsut try and fill that stake pocket with water. Everyone I have seen is open on the bottom to below the bed to prevent accumulation. I don't plug the holes with anything so I would say duct tape is at least as good as nothing.

My bediner is 10 years old, same as my Ranger. It is definitely NOT slick. It is definitely VERY tough. I just toss the rounds in there. The big rounds have a tendency to slam down because I'm
about to drop them. There is not a mark in the liner after 10 years. I have a cap on so I don't worry about anything getting under it.

In your case, could you put in those expanding tie down hooks in the openings?
Al

I'm not a big fan of the plastic bed liners since a) I've found that if you get a bit of snow in them and are unloading wood they can be very slippery, b) as mentioned there have been some fires caused by folks filling up gas cans in the bed (caused by static electricity . . . the issue with cell phones being used at the pump incidentally appears to be much less of a concern . . . and yet the stickers on the pumps remain) and c) they seem to allow moisture to build up underneath which can result in rusting long-term.

That said, as Lobsta mentioned they are wicked tough and can handle a lot of abuse which is definitely a positive . . . and they're relatively affordable compared to Rhino-lining the bed . . . plus old ones are great to cut up and use for snowmobile trailers so your carbides don't chew up the plywood.

I am almost cringing with my newest thoughts on this matter. Hey--I didn`t order the truck this way--it just came with the liner..

Now, I`m thinking about that expanding foam insulation used in homes. You know-the stuff in the areosol can. expands like crazy.

Now, I asking about the pro`s and con`s about this "brainstorm"??

Shoot it in there, and can always cut away the foam that cuts off the tie-down handles?

A shot in the dark? Or am I really starting to become more inventive with age? %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.