My recent dealing with my propane supplier 03-12

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Called around today to get LP pricing. I own my own 1000 gallon tank and will be taking 500 gallons delivery. Prices ranged from 1.849 to 1.449 per gallon. For 1.449 per gallon, I told them to fill 'er up. Last fall the prices were 1.749 for a winter contract.

Price is almost down to same cost as pellet heat. The LP boiler that I have is 95% efficient, so that helps bring the cost per btu down.

Called around today to get LP pricing. I own my own 1000 gallon tank and will be taking 500 gallons delivery. Prices ranged from 1.849 to 1.449 per gallon. For 1.449 per gallon, I told them to fill 'er up. Last fall the prices were 1.749 for a winter contract.

Price is almost down to same cost as pellet heat. The LP boiler that I have is 95% efficient, so that helps bring the cost per btu down.
Spill the beans farmer. Who's selling for 1.449? PM if necessary.

Nothing close that around my parts. If it were I wouldn't have bought my pellet stove.

Larsen Co-op was 1.849
Gasco was 1.639
Garrow Oil was 1.449

I use to lease a tank from Garrow Oil before I bought my own tank. The lease was free if you used a certain number of gallons per year. After I installed the pellet boiler and did not need to fill up every year, they wanted to start charging me rent for the tank. That is what made me buy my own tank. Now I can shop around for prices.

Larsen Co-op was 1.849
Gasco was 1.639
Garrow Oil was 1.449

I use to lease a tank from Garrow Oil before I bought my own tank. The lease was free if you used a certain number of gallons per year. After I installed the pellet boiler and did not need to fill up every year, they wanted to start charging me rent for the tank. That is what made me buy my own tank. Now I can shop around for prices.

I also own mine and usually use gasco, maybe not anymore. Thanks.

I only use propane to heat my basement shop and that is infrequent. Even so, I own two 100lb tanks that I transport to and from the local rental place that has the best prices on propane. Full they can be pretty heavy but I can manage well enough. Prices get even better if you bring the tank to them.... RT

I only use propane to heat my basement shop and that is infrequent. Even so, I own two 100lb tanks that I transport to and from the local rental place that has the best prices on propane. Full they can be pretty heavy but I can manage well enough. Prices get even better if you bring the tank to them.... RT
Typically smaller tanks are filled by weight. An example would be a 20# grill tank is only around 5 gals or less.

Around here it is much much more expensive to have portable tanks filled versus buying bulk from a supplier.

I believe it is around $4/gal for a portable tank fill and +- $1-50/gal bulk in this location.

Between $3 and $4 in this area! ! Thats BULK.... I hate LP.....

Between $3 and $4 in this area! ! Thats BULK.... I hate LP.....
The highest I've seen was somewhere around $2.50 in 2008. When I first installed my LP garage heater it was .64/gal. I used to keep the garage heat on all the time. !!

You folks in WI have cheaper fuel prices also I think. around here reg gas is 3.99 went another .04 today. Plus you have cheese, I love cheese.

Our last propane fillup was $4.25/gal. Emphasis on 'last'!!!!!

Those are some really good prices you have out there in Wisconsin. The one you quoted from Garrow Oil is lower than the rack price here for a full truckload of 12,000 gallons.

I used to work with some of the pyrofax crew...nothing would surprise me
depending on how "loose" your rental place is they are supposed to check for re-certification for the cylinders.
NYS state used to love to pull people over with 100# cylinders in their trucks to check for the recerts and bill of sales on the purchase of said tanks (showing ownership). Easy pickings for tickets.

Typically smaller tanks are filled by weight. An example would be a 20# grill tank is only around 5 gals or less.

Around here it is much much more expensive to have portable tanks filled versus buying bulk from a supplier.

I believe it is around $4/gal for a portable tank fill and +- $1-50/gal bulk in this location.

I pay $2.75 a gallon if I bring them my tanks. Its over $3+ if they deliver. The local rental place is less than a 1/2mile from my house so its very convenient.
RT

I used to work with some of the pyrofax crew...nothing would surprise me
depending on how "loose" your rental place is they are supposed to check for re-certification for the cylinders.
NYS state used to love to pull people over with 100# cylinders in their trucks to check for the recerts and bill of sales on the purchase of said tanks (showing ownership). Easy pickings for tickets.

I'm supposed to transport vertical, I don't, I lay them down on a wood crib I made an strap them down with ratched straps. The tanks are just out of hydro test, my local guy doesn't care, the distance traveled is short so screw the rules. Last thing I need is some cop busting my agates, can't see 'em laying down. RT

I pay $2.75 a gallon if I bring them my tanks. Its over $3+ if they deliver. The local rental place is less than a 1/2mile from my house so its very convenient.
RT
So whats your final cost after filling?

I'm supposed to transport vertical, I don't, I lay them down on a wood crib I made an strap them down with ratched straps. The tanks are just out of hydro test, my local guy doesn't care, the distance traveled is short so screw the rules. Last thing I need is some cop busting my agates, can't see 'em laying down. RT
laying them down puts the liquid into the relief valve without the vapor buffer that the vertical does. Makes for a big fart of gas ...and a groovy flame when it hits a source of ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.