My Splitter broke today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
Well, I was splitting a cord of wood today and broke my trusty old splitter. The support that holds the ram in place broke at the weld where it was attached to the box beam. The steel support ripped a large hole in the box beam and hot hydraulic oil sprayed all over the place while it was under full load. What a mess. Oil all over the driveway, my trailer, me and the splitter.Luckily, no burns or other damage. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the break.

So, I figure it's a complete washout. The splitter is old, the box beam, wedge and frame aren't in very good shape and it doesn't look very good. Based on where it broke and the condition of the parts described above, I don't think it's worthwhile trying to repair. However, the bummer is that the engine, pump and cylinder are in great condition. I put a new motor on about 4-5 years ago and had the ram rebuilt and a new pump put on. It was STRONG. I never did have a log that wouldn't split since those upgrades.

So, this is the perfect excuse to buy a horizontal/vertical model. (The old one was horizontal only) I'm really seriously considering an electric model from Ramsplitter. I'll be checking that out very soon. They have a 16 ton unit that runs on 240V electric that might just fit the bill. Since I only use it for personal use and split about 3-4 cords per year, I don't think it should be too expensive and doesn't have to have all of the bells and whistles (hyd. lift, electric start, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Glad you are ok...I hate hot hydraulic showers. Electric power is very convenient if you split everything near your shed anyway.

What I've seen posted about the Ramsplitters has been pretty good, long as you don't mind the string tying you to the outlet location, it might be a good solution...

As a different option, you might not be in a bad position to do a rebuild / custom build unit with the parts you have, especially if you are, or have good buddy that is, a welder... Our usual recommendation is that building from scratch isn't worth it, UNLESS you already have most of the parts needed - sounds like you've got everything you need on the hydraulic side except for the tank, and probably could salvage a fair bit of the running gear and so forth from the old unit, so the only big items you'd need would be a tank and a beam...

If nothing else, you probably have something you could Craigslist off for a good price to pay for a new unit.

One thing that I would advise you do to as soon as you can, is to re-seal the hydraulic system - disconnect whatever hoses you have to in order to isolate the leaking parts, and plug them up so that the non-leaking part is sealed up from the air... Hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air, which is bad for the components. Sealing the system up (don't worry about draining it, or trying to make it workable) keeps moisture and other contaminants out of the undamaged parts of the system.

Gooserider

I picked up a big I beam at the scrap yard for 30 cents/lb. Check out the local scrap yard. You could really make a killer splitter.

Matt

A pro welder/fabricator can probably get back to almost perfect for less than $200.

So here are the pix of the offending splitter. I'm not really too cranked up about repairing this thing. I'm tired of lifting logs and would really like a vertical/horizontal splitter. If you look at the last photo, it looks like this had been welded several times before. I've had it for 6-7 years and I'm sure the guy I bought it from had used it for many years before that. I'll bet this thing was 30 years old!

Attachments

• IMAG0725.jpg
    IMAG0725.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 628
  • IMAG0726.jpg
    IMAG0726.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 616
  • IMAG0727.jpg
    IMAG0727.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 622
Even though i hate to throw things out/scrap them...I would get something a bit newer if I had the cash. I am not a big fan of using the splitter in vertical mode except for when I have monsters I cannot life off the pile. Just that saves my back and/or time sawing them in half or halving and quartering them by hand. I found my splitter used for $450 and I am on my 6th yr with it. If I needed one now, I would buy new...

what will you do with the remains?

I always wondered how the little square tubers failed. My little splitter has more hydraulic mite than frame and flexes pretty good with a big round. It would only be a matter of time if I kept using it the way I was.

Do you know how much the HV25 lists for? It would be cool if they would put a 5hp electric on it.

http://ramsplitter.com/ModelHV25.html

Unlike some of our other posters, I'm a big fan of vertical mode splitting, so I can totally understand why you'd rather have an H/V capable unit...

Looking at your pictures, I'd say that it would be possible to re-make that unit into an H/V w/o all that much trouble... The way I'd do it...

1. Pull off all the hydraulic stuff and set it aside - be sure to cap all connections to keep moisture and contaminants out...

2. Shop around scrapyards and other sources to find the following...

A. Suitable beam - 6x6 or heavier I-beam, maybe with an extra wear strip of steel on the top face, long enough for the cylinder plus splitting length, plus a couple inches extra...
B. Tank (or materials for it) - 4-5 gallon capacity minimum, probably sized to fit space between existing box beam and wheel on side opposite engine.
C. Big plate of 2" thick steel for base plate.
D. Steel suitable for making wedge carriage
E. Light weight utility trailer tongue w/ jack stand, coupler, etc. (may be able to salvage some of this from old splitter)

3. Build up beam w/ baseplate on bottom, cylinder mounting on top (no need to worry about wedge for now)

4. Cut old box beam / tank off on each end flush w/ existing running gear platform.

5. Put a hinge on top rear corner of box beam, and attach to new beam so that it sits right in vertical mode.

6. Attach trailer tongue to other end of running gear at height that will give a level ride for the splitter when hooked to an average tow vehicle. Put spacers on tongue to support beam top end when horizontal, and provide for way to lock it in that position.

7. Mount tank where it will not be in way...

8. Put hydraulic gear back on, make wedge carriage, etc.

Gooserider

Danno77 said:
Sell them, scrap them, I don't know. Want them? Good engine, cylinder and valve assembly. The rest is pretty worn out.

jdinspector said:
Danno77 said:
Sell them, scrap them, I don't know. Want them? Good engine, cylinder and valve assembly. The rest is pretty worn out.

Those remains could probably get you a fair bit on CL or equivalent... For good parts, I would say you probably have $5-600 there without that much trouble....

Engine - $1-200 for anything that runs well, depending on size... China clones aren't much more than that, so that is the upper limit...

Pump - $75 used, $120 and up new

Cylinder - Another $100

Valve - probably around $50

Hoses - $10-20 each for "factory made" lines

A rolling chassis - $50

Assorted other bits???

I think there is a lot more salvage value there than you appreciate... If you really want to replace with new, rather than do a mild or radical rebuild, I'd get some specs on the engine and as many other parts as I could, and put an add on Craig's list for the splitter as it sits for say $700 or BRO, and be willing to take anything over $500....

Gooserider

Being on a fixed income and having a welder I would rebuild, repair, etc. Lots of money saved to spend else-ware.

I would probably fix it too. But I like fixing stuff. I would patch the tank and put a reinforcement on top to prevent it from happening again.

If you want to get a new one then now is your chance.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.