My stove door came off this morning - Waterford Fiona

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theora55

Mar 8, 2008
Southern Maine
Yikes! Coldest day in Maine so far, and this morning, when I went to add a log to the fire, the door broke. I found a pin, but can't tell how it goes back together. Maybe the pin is compressed to fit into the slot at the top, and through the top of the door?

The manual has an exploded diagram on page 7, but I don't see the hinge pin on the diagram.

I took pictures, have resized them by quite a bit. Got this stove used 11 years ago, it has been a champ in my small house. Would love to hear from you about how to approach repairs.

Fortunately, the stove was not very hot, so I was able to get the door off safely, and I can burn it inefficiently with a jury-rigged screen.
link to pdf of manual https://assets.regency-fire.com/getattachment/e8bf443b-1ed2-4567-8d39-3efc909712c6/E65-Manual.aspx

Attachments

• Waterford fiona1-resized.jpg
    Waterford fiona1-resized.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 201
  • WaterfordFiona2-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona2-resized.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 209
  • WaterfordFiona3-doorhinge-outside-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona3-doorhinge-outside-cropped-resized.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 193
  • WaterfordFiona-doorhinge-bottominside-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona-doorhinge-bottominside-cropped-resized.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 203
  • WaterfordFiona-doorhinge-bottomoutside-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona-doorhinge-bottomoutside-cropped-resized.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 199
  • WaterfordFiona-doorhinge-bottompost-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona-doorhinge-bottompost-cropped-resized.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 202
  • WaterfordFiona-doorhingeinside-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona-doorhingeinside-cropped-resized.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 196
  • WaterfordFiona-doorhingepost-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona-doorhingepost-cropped-resized.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 203
  • WaterfordFiona-doorhinge-slot-top-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona-doorhinge-slot-top-cropped-resized.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 198
  • WaterfordFiona-hingepin1-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona-hingepin1-cropped-resized.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 195
  • WaterfordFiona-hingepin2-cropped-resized.jpg
    WaterfordFiona-hingepin2-cropped-resized.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 206
are you able to remount door close the latch so door is aligned than insert th roll pin from above ? I have a 1991 Waterford Erin ( but my hinges Are secured with screws to both door and stove body

Reactions: theora55
are you able to remount door close the latch so door is aligned than insert th roll pin from above ? I have a 1991 Waterford Erin ( but my hinges Are secured with screws to both door and stove body
I tried that, but can't see what would prevent the pin from falling out again. I hope you're enjoying the Erin.

Take a small flat head screw driver and and hammer find a solid surface preferably concrete or a vice , place head of screwdriver in the seam and tap with the hammer spreading one side of the roll pin slightly this will wedge it into the stove body like it was before

Take a small flat head screw driver and and hammer find a solid surface preferably concrete or a vice , place head of screwdriver in the seam and tap with the hammer spreading one side of the roll pin slightly this will wedge it into the stove body like it was before
Thanks, had not known of roll pins before, makes sense.

Or mash it into a triangle. I've murdered a few innocent roll pins that way. :)

Take a Phillips screwdriver that almost fits inside the roll pin and tap it into the hollow end, all the way through the pin. Keep going with larger cylinders until it's open the diameter needed for the application.

(But bholler's got a good idea too, a new pin will also work.)

Or mash it into a triangle. I've murdered a few innocent roll pins that way. :)

Take a Phillips screwdriver that almost fits inside the roll pin and tap it into the hollow end, all the way through the pin. Keep going with larger cylinders until it's open the diameter needed for the application.

(But bholler's got a good idea too, a new pin will also work.)
Believe me I have spread or distorted roll pins plenty of times to make them work in a pinch. But the right solution is to just get a new one.

Reactions: Mech e
Got a new roll pin. I'm not strong enough to pound the new one in, esp. at that odd angle. I *was* able to get the old one back in, and it's holding for now. I have someone coming in December to clean the chimney, I'll if he can help put the new pin in. thanks, all.

Of course, now I'm cruising craigslist for wood stoves.
Woodstock Soapstone Palladian Wood Stove
L-Lange Danish Stove

Attachments

• L-LangeDanish Stove.jpg
    L-LangeDanish Stove.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Woodstock Soapstone Palladian Wood Stove.jpg
    Woodstock Soapstone Palladian Wood Stove.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 178
Got a new roll pin. I'm not strong enough to pound the new one in, esp. at that odd angle. I *was* able to get the old one back in, and it's holding for now. I have someone coming in December to clean the chimney, I'll if he can help put the new pin in. thanks, all.

Roll pins are supposed to be a little bigger than the hole they go in; that's how they hold themselves from falling out, and also why the edges are (sometimes) ground to an angle.

Lay it on a hard surface, with the split facing left or right, and tap one end (not the middle) with a hammer until that side compresses a little. Then it'll be easier to put that end in, but it will still hold well because the other end is at original size.

If you want to be nicer to the pin, get a pair of needle nose vise grips and grab it near one end. That way you can lock the vise grips on with the pin compressed at that end, and tap it in with the other hand.

Last edited: