Name that stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zituzupe

Sep 22, 2016
Here
Hi folks,
I inherited this stove. I don't have a use for it, so I'm probably going to sell it. Before I do that, I'm curious of anyone knows what it is and what it might be worth. I don't see any model, make, or other markings on it. It's a basic steel box type stove, but seems fairly well made.

Thanks for the help.

IMG_20201010_120646905.jpgIMG_20201010_120710204.jpgIMG_20201010_120803203.jpgIMG_20201010_120745122.jpg

Looks like a Dutchwest copy maybe a coal stove? Judge by the air inlets in the back corner.

Reactions: Gearhead660
It looks to me like a Vermont Casting Defiant "Clone" with what looks to be cracked fireback. Various third world foundaries would disassemble originals and make unauthorized copies. They frequently modified the casting slightly to make them look slightly different. In this case they added the dimpled top and center panels and removed the top removable cooking plate. If they copied the VC completely there should be a small round hole with swing up flap on the lower left hand side of the side loading door and on the back of the stove there should be light metal flap covering a square hole on the lower right hand side when looking at the back, The flap will be controlled by a lever connected by chain to the flap with a metal coil spring connecting the coil to the lever. Without the removable top cooking plate I have no idea how the rear smoke chamber would get cleaned so its most likely plugged up which leads to cracking of the fireback.

If the fireback is cracked, (looks to me like a diagonal crack to left of center, then eventually the crack will open up. This effectively bypasses the secondary air system cutting the efficiency way down. Its beast of stove designed to heat draft old Vermont House close to 40 years ago and was too large for most homes. Many folks still use them even with cracked firebacks in camps where wood usage is not an issue. They can burn somewhat damp wood without the bypass flap closed. In theory if the fireback is an exact copy and a singlepiece you may be able to by and install a VC replacement but the cost will exceed the value of the stove. Its not unsafe to run with the stove this way, it just burns a lot of wood and throws a lot o heat up the chimney.

Not worth much to anyone who knows stove but maybe $250 for someone who wants it for camp?

Second that. Looks like a VC knock off.

I think this is the winner. Thanks much!

stoveback.jpg

It looks to me like a Vermont Casting Defiant "Clone" with what looks to be cracked fireback. Various third world foundaries would disassemble originals and make unauthorized copies. They frequently modified the casting slightly to make them look slightly different. In this case they added the dimpled top and center panels and removed the top removable cooking plate. If they copied the VC completely there should be a small round hole with swing up flap on the lower left hand side of the side loading door and on the back of the stove there should be light metal flap covering a square hole on the lower right hand side when looking at the back, The flap will be controlled by a lever connected by chain to the flap with a metal coil spring connecting the coil to the lever. Without the removable top cooking plate I have no idea how the rear smoke chamber would get cleaned so its most likely plugged up which leads to cracking of the fireback.

If the fireback is cracked, (looks to me like a diagonal crack to left of center, then eventually the crack will open up. This effectively bypasses the secondary air system cutting the efficiency way down. Its beast of stove designed to heat draft old Vermont House close to 40 years ago and was too large for most homes. Many folks still use them even with cracked firebacks in camps where wood usage is not an issue. They can burn somewhat damp wood without the bypass flap closed. In theory if the fireback is an exact copy and a singlepiece you may be able to by and install a VC replacement but the cost will exceed the value of the stove. Its not unsafe to run with the stove this way, it just burns a lot of wood and throws a lot o heat up the chimney.

Not worth much to anyone who knows stove but maybe $250 for someone who wants it for camp?

just found this for sale asking $400 with a Magic Creosote Creator

Attachments

• 118808254_4732090130134400_6674505530714821899_o.jpg
    118808254_4732090130134400_6674505530714821899_o.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 118894797_4732089636801116_8528937138683036451_o.jpg
    118894797_4732089636801116_8528937138683036451_o.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 103
Another Taiwan knockoff.

Yes on the scandia. A cheap knock off of the vermont castings defiant