Nashua in Ohio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I am building a new home in ohio and my grandmother is giving my my grandpa's nashua woodstove that has been in their house for years. Since my grandpa is dead, all I know about it is that it worked very well for him, has a larger fan then average, that glass door, and a rear 6" pipe port. I do have the original manual, but what I want to know is how good this old stove is, are their any concerns, or just general information about it.

I also plan to convert the 6" to 8" straight out of the stove and run it through my basement wall (with plenty of clearance) to a pipe chimney outside. Is this a good idea our should I stay with 6" all the way, or eve until it get outside? Thanks in advance.

It's a decent, tough as a battleship stove. A modern one will be much cleaner burning and efficient.

If at all possible, figure out how to run the pipe straight up in the house. It will perform and look much better. Why 8"? Most stove, particularly new ones are 6".

It's a decent, tough as a battleship stove. A modern one will be much cleaner burning and efficient.

If at all possible, figure out how to run the pipe straight up in the house. It will perform and look much better. Why 8"? Most stove, particularly new ones are 6".

Thanks for the comments. I know a newer stove would be more efficient, but this one carries sentimental value. I sat in front of it with my grandpa and helped him cut and split a lot of wood for it. It is only going to be a secondary heat source for my home. I have a bryant propane furnace with a heat pump and a variable speed fan. My HVAC people are running two cold air returns over the stove (it will be in my finished basement) with large registers in them. This should pull a good but of warm air throughout my one story home. I will also have hard floors and am planning on getting a good deal or radiant heat in the great room of my home. So simply, the harder I feed the stove, the less propane I use, but I don't necessarily need to.

My grandpa had converted from a 6' to an 8" to run it through an existing chimney. I guess I was just going with the idea of more diameter, more draft. I will stay with 6" if that is recommended. I am installing the stove/chimney myself, so 6" will be cheaper and I just need to follow the general regulations. Thanks

The cold air return must be at least 10 ft away from the stove by code. Your HVAC peeps should know this. When in doubt ask the inspector. It's good to stick with the 6" flue if that's what the stove was designed for.

The cold air return must be at least 10 ft away from the stove by code. Your HVAC peeps should know this. When in doubt ask the inspector. It's good to stick with the 6" flue if that's what the stove was designed for.

My HVAC guys apparently did not know that. They are directly above where the stove will be and I already have the hole in the fondation for the pipe. I guess I will have to talk with an inspector to get it figured out.

I am going to stick with 6" to keep it efficient. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.