nasty stuff running down my chimney, black and rust looking, worried, first year burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kathie

Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2010
west-central Indiana
as time goes by the wood stove does not seem to be doing as well, when it gets really cold at night or when it is really windy i have a hard time keeping a good fire burning, recently started seeing black flakes in the snow and rusty color running down my chimney with black at top, first year burning. we have quit using it here this past week afraid of chimney fire, heard a big bang like noise then then other mentioned stuff was present. afraid to start back up, wouldn't think would have that much creosote since started using in december, outside masonry chimney with steel flex tube liner was burning 24/7.lately had to leave door unlatched or slightly cracked to get a hot burn going

You could have a clogged cap on top of the chimney.
To alleviate your fear of chimney fire - can you take a picture by sticking your camera up inside a clean out?
That will tell folks a lot about how the stove is working.

No cleanout on a chimney liner.

Time to get a sweep out there to take a look at that chimney.

I have one that ends in a tee and the snout goes through the wall - the bottom of the tee is accessed outside by a clean out door in the masonry chimney. I thought this was pretty common?

You could still remove stovepipe and get your hand in for a picture.
Of course - you can't go wrong with the pro sweep approach also.

cravin a nice fire said:
as time goes by the wood stove does not seem to be doing as well, when it gets really cold at night or when it is really windy i have a hard time keeping a good fire burning, recently started seeing black flakes in the snow and rusty color running down my chimney with black at top, first year burning. we have quit using it here this past week afraid of chimney fire, heard a big bang like noise then then other mentioned stuff was present. afraid to start back up, wouldn't think would have that much creosote since started using in december, outside masonry chimney with steel flex tube liner was burning 24/7.lately had to leave door unlatched or slightly cracked to get a hot burn going

Pictures always help.
What does your chimney cap look like? Real black with creo-cicles hanging off of it?

+1 on the chimney sweep time, safe & then you know.
How long since last cleaned?

Creosote don't march by a clock or calendar, it is flue gasses & moisture cooling off & condensing inside the stack.
Hot fires help it burn clean, dry wood helps it burn clean.

Be safe , get it cleaned. ;)

Gotta' agree. Sounds like a clogged cap, at least. That can happen pretty quick when first learning to run the stove.
First year here, I took for granted that the prior owners knew what they were doing. Well, you know how the saying goes, "when you assume.......".
Anyway, lazy fire, wood not dry,...blah blah...
Got up to check the flue, and found that the 8" Class A had been reduced to about 1/2 that diameter with a buildup of fluffy ash. :ahhh:
Needless to say, but I borrowed my brother's rods and brush, cleaned, then got my own. Flue and cap now get checked regularly and cleaned as needed.
YMWV

cravin a nice fire said:

Since sometime in December means less than 2 months. Not unheard of for sure. I'd suggest stopping burning and start getting next year's wood on hand as soon as possible. Wood not dry = creosote problems, no matter what stove you have. Poor fuel = poor results. Would you burn poor fuel in your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.