NC-30 Needs new door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I want to replace the door gasket on my Englander NC-30. I was going to pick up some regular 5/8 rope gasket but then I saw that I should use high density rope?

I'd appreciate any suggestions for rope.

I also have red RTV and rutland gasket cement, which do you prefer?

Save yourself some head ache and buy the OEM gasket and RTV sealant. The gasket is a high density and I doubt you will find any at the hardware store.

I have a NC 30 as well. Just looked online and saw several places you could order the high density 5/8 woodstove/boiler gasket.
One place:

Sure, lots of aftermarket gasket makers will sell you something that should work but forum experience has shown that only the oem gasket will work. This is very common across brands and irritating to me but is a fact. You can always try the aftermarket stuff but be ready to do it again.

Probably going to cost more also, but well worth it. Also don't stretch it when installing. It needs to be pushed a little to make it a little thicker. I found out the hard way.

Low/medium/high density of a given size is not the same between manufacturers...once you start looking around, you'll see what I mean. My 2 cents, buy OEM unless you don't mind experimenting and possibly redoing it...

Reactions: Highbeam
Sure, lots of aftermarket gasket makers will sell you something that should work but forum experience has shown that only the oem gasket will work. This is very common across brands and irritating to me but is a fact. You can always try the aftermarket stuff but be ready to do it again.
Very irritating to me as well

I want to replace the door gasket on my Englander NC-30. I was going to pick up some regular 5/8 rope gasket but then I saw that I should use high density rope?

I'd appreciate any suggestions for rope.

I also have red RTV and rutland gasket cement, which do you prefer?

Oh and the factory uses black RTV, so can you. I used ultra copper, same price, on the last door gasket I did and it worked fine. Red is very eye catching if any spooges out. Copper is the highest temperature rated. Just don't use blue as it reportedly turns to rock with heat for some reason.