NC30 in the barn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toolmaker Ted

Feb 14, 2016
Mid west ohio
What are your guys and gals thoughts on a NC30 to heat a pole barn. My wife and I are starting construction on a 32x64 pole barn for storage of tractor implements, bee keeping stuff, garden and orchard supplies. One end of the barn will be somewhat closed off for my wifes beloved flock of chickens, ducks, and turkeys ( I for one could do without that....lol) I can currently get the Englander nc30 for the phenomenal price of 519.00 a piece! We are going to burn a stove out there but I think it would benefit us having the Englander over a regular ol barrel stove. The barn will not be insulated so the stove will just be to give us a spot to warm up by while we are out there working, not to heat the entire facility. What is the general consensus of the hearth.com brethren?

Without insulation over half the heat generated will head to the outdoors. An old radiant steel stove like a Fisher or Fisher knockoff might do just as well. Barrel stove will also work but the 30NC would most likely last longer.

I use an nc30 in my 30x60 pole barn. Before I insulated I had a chance to heat with it. I wasn't able to raise the temperature much but it was sure nice to have a hot stove for campfire like radiant heat.

The nc30 is legal, safer, cleaner burning, and more durable than the non epa barrel stove and it has a window!

If you just want a place to warm it should be OK as long as hay/straw and all other combustibles are kept away...you can always add insulation to that area later if you decide you wanna "heat" it more so. Might wanna check with your insurance company first...just to make sure there is no problem there.
Like begreen said, this may be a good spot for an old school stove...but for $519 you may spend as much for a 30 year old stove as a new one! Just make sure you have real dry wood to feed the 30...they don't digest wet wood too good.

Turns out that my old man is thinking about replacing his All nighter Big Moe this year or maybe next and he told me that if I can get it out of his house I can have it!! Just so happens I have a few buddies that will work for nothing more than several cold beverages that are willing to move that big bastard around with me. That stove has lasted since 1978 so I believe it will last far longer than a barrel stove and it is only going to cost me 30 or 40 bucks( depends on how thirsty my help is!)

There you go. Just be sure to put in a safe and proper chimney system to connect to. And hold off the beer until the work is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.