Need a another saw little help here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am going with the Rancher 460 or the 555, the 555 is great but not sure if spending an extra $150 is worth it, thats alot of other gear I could buy.
I honestly think the 460 will be fine, but I am still watching a 555 on ebay

Ok finalized, I got the 555 with a 20" bar I'll post a thread on the performance soon. In the end I think that the 555 is made for authorized dealers only, and the 460 is made for big box stores and has several different serial numbers was the deciding factor. I know with my husqvarna snowblower there is a night and day difference between the Lowes version and the ones from a power equiptment dealer.

So should I keep the 340? Ill take local offers and it has a 2 week old bar and chain. I know this is not the place to post it but it's a great saw and I can't justify 2 saws for 2 acres. It could make someone in the northeast very happy.

Correct. Husqvarna does not sell their higher level and professional models in big box stores.

Don't sell your 340 until you've used the 555 for a while. You might find, as many do, that having two saws for firewooding is very effective. The smaller, lighter saw is for smaller bucking and limbing. The larger saw will cover felling, large bucking, noodling, and stump making.

Congrats on acquiring a great saw!

The larger saw will cover felling... and stump making.

Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between felling and stump making?

Im guessing but i think he means if you go back and cut all of your stumps down to the lowest level. The extra power will do this quicker.....I'm guessing

I can't justify 2 saws for 2 acres.
Sure you can! I've got 6 saws and only 0.75 acre and feel quite justified. In fact, I'm thinking I need more justification.

Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between felling and stump making?

Im guessing but i think he means if you go back and cut all of your stumps down to the lowest level. The extra power will do this quicker.....I'm guessing

Yep. Cutting stumps close to the ground often takes more torque than cutting at, say, waist or breast height.

Straight tree fibers like those found in the trunk of tall forest trees are often easier to cut than yard trees or trees that must adapt to strong winds. As you cut closer to the root flare, there are fibers that are similarly not parallel to one another.

Reactions: Jon1270
Thanks, that makes sense. Last year I bought an 064 from a retiring tree service guy who said he'd only ever used it for "cuttin' stumps." Now I know what he was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.