Need a flexible container for diesel/kerosene

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
What I have is a stripped lower unit off a 15 hp Johnson outboard. Nominal 16 x 14 x 6 inches. Aluminum.

What I want to do is soak the lower unit in diesel/kerosene rather than buy a parts washer and blah blah.

I have three outboards total, one with a blown up power head, one with a cracked midsection and one with a questionable lower. I need two servicable OMC 15s by spring, his and hers as it were. I have a 1976, a 1988 and and a 1993

If I can find the right plastic sheet I should be able to build a custom cardboard container and get all three lower casings soaked clean without having to buy a 55 gallon drum of diesel.

Black lawn and leaf bags? Regular white plastic household trashbags?

My best idea so far is to grab a new fangled mil-spec Jerry can, they make them out of plastic now, cut the top off and jam a lower case down in there. I don't like it.

I can likely get a stripped lower case in and out of the kerosene bath in a week, clean. I don't need something permanent, but I don't want my raspberries tasting like petroleum either.

Been to three estate sales lately looking for a container. Nada. Open to ideas.

They still make galvanized wash tubs. If you need something bigger, go to a farm and ranch store and look at livestock watering tanks.

washtub.jpg