Poindexter Posted By Poindexter, Sep 22, 2018 at 9:52 PM

1. Poindexter

Poindexter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    What I have is a stripped lower unit off a 15 hp Johnson outboard. Nominal 16 x 14 x 6 inches. Aluminum.

What I want to do is soak the lower unit in diesel/kerosene rather than buy a parts washer and blah blah.

I have three outboards total, one with a blown up power head, one with a cracked midsection and one with a questionable lower. I need two servicable OMC 15s by spring, his and hers as it were. I have a 1976, a 1988 and and a 1993

If I can find the right plastic sheet I should be able to build a custom cardboard container and get all three lower casings soaked clean without having to buy a 55 gallon drum of diesel.

Black lawn and leaf bags? Regular white plastic household trashbags?

My best idea so far is to grab a new fangled mil-spec Jerry can, they make them out of plastic now, cut the top off and jam a lower case down in there. I don't like it.

I can likely get a stripped lower case in and out of the kerosene bath in a week, clean. I don't need something permanent, but I don't want my raspberries tasting like petroleum either.

Been to three estate sales lately looking for a container. Nada. Open to ideas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Montanalocal

Montanalocal
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Helena MT
    They still make galvanized wash tubs. If you need something bigger, go to a farm and ranch store and look at livestock watering tanks.

washtub.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SeanBB

SeanBB
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Wales
  4. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Get a plastic 55 gallon drum and cut to size. I've seen a parts wash bin like this. They can be had for very cheap.