Need ATV guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older Polaris 400 I use around the yard for hauling wood trailers, splitter, and plowing I have found it does pretty good with all that and even pulls a loaded 6x8 trailer with 2' sides no problem that being said for what you want I would be interested in a compact tractor . My neighbor has one a cub cadet with forks a blade or a bucket and with AWD he takes it thru some heavy mud I would never make it thru with the 4wheeler however while I have 2000.00 invested he is well over 10,000 . I saw a show on discovery where they were using mules for logging and said it was inexpensive and worked well , not sure I would want to take care of the mules year round but ?
Like was mentioned earlier the honda is top of the heap with the 4wheeler and Kubota with the tractor but as usual they demand top dollar.
\

I don't own an atv yet.... but I've tried and work with many... and lots of friends have all kind....

Mepersonnally, for what I want t do with an atv, I'm not decide yet.......

Bt you, for what you want to do...... hnda forman,r even the older 300 4x4, depneding on yor budge... but I've seen some older honda been eat up by 2-3 generation of redneck... and the are still running.... Most reliable machine aroud.

es the foreman ride like a tractor, have a very low top speed (Wich is why I won't have a foreman...) but the are build tough...... Go with a foreman or an older honda 4x4 (if in good shape).

The grand father of my friend have a Honda 2x4 200cc 1984..... he have been hunting, riding and hauling / skinding approx 20 cord of bunring wood a year since 1984.... never open neither the engine or the tranny... still running strong.....

fyrwoodguy said:
I keep mine in 1st or 2nd gear.and for work only!
REMORQUESWORKING002.jpg

STONEMTWOODLOT002.jpg

1-TON018.jpg

REMORQUESWORKING027.jpg

PINEHARVEST2005009.jpg

REMORQUESWORKING038Standarde-mailvi.jpg

FORREST015.jpg

That has to be one of the best setups I have ever seen. OK, where do you get that stuff, I WANT THAT! :)

How about a 6x6? Are these too unwieldy in the woods?

Attachments

• 6x6.jpg
    6x6.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 323
Peter SWNH said:
6x6 would be ok. No less maneuverable in the woods than a tractor.

quads said:
Peter SWNH said:

Yeah- and the dumpbox, while a neat idea is probably too small for your wood gathering endeavers

WoodMann said:
quads said:
Peter SWNH said:

Yeah- and the dumpbox, while a neat idea is probably too small for your wood gathering endeavers
I think some of them have stake pockets, so he could probably build little sides on it and haul slightly more. Regardless, it will haul more than a 4x4 ATV would on a regular rack, which I think is what he was planning to purchase in the beginning anyway and pull a trailer. The dump box would be a nice place to haul the saw, gas, maul, etc.

Choosing an ATV is as difficult as choosing a stove!

I'm not looking for what is the "best" one, just trying to match features/technology to my (perceived) needs. I would like to thank you all for your insight, advice, experience, and comments. I will post pics once I get one (which will be within a couple weeks).

I don't know about your area but around here you can pick up a decent 8N ford tractor for about $2500 and it usually comes with a brush hog,or finish mower with it,and they are pretty simple to work on as the use gasoline instead of diesel.

M said:
I don't know about your area but around here you can pick up a decent 8N ford tractor for about $2500 and it usually comes with a brush hog,or finish mower with it,and they are pretty simple to work on as the use gasoline instead of diesel.

Ummmm....no. While I am quite capable for working on antique machinery, I won't anymore. Did enough of that with my previous antique car hobby. Totally lost interest.

Well, I finally got one. 2003 Polaris 500 6x6. I put sides on it so capacity is now about 25 cubic feet. Did some dead-fall clearing of my land this afternoon and hauled a few loads of pine and maple. Works great! Crawls over everything. No need for a trailer at the moment.

Attachments

• atv_1.jpg
    atv_1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 273
  • atv_2.jpg
    atv_2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 259
  • atv_3.jpg
    atv_3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 270
PINEBURNER said:
Kawasaki mules, they make a 4x4 diesel model

This is what I use (the gas model 610). I traverse on very hilly terrain, mud, and streams on my family's 60 acres. The Mule works great.

Peter SWNH said:
Well, I finally got one. 2003 Polaris 500 6x6. I put sides on it so capacity is now about 25 cubic feet. Did some dead-fall clearing of my land this afternoon and hauled a few loads of pine and maple. Works great! Crawls over everything. No need for a trailer at the moment.
That's great!

Peter SWNH said:

Don't know how I missed this thread?

I have a Polaris Sportsman 500. 2 years and 850 miles not a lick of problems.

You did GOOD!!!!

By the way the nick name for polaris in the ATV world is PoPo's.

Monkey Wrench said:
I had an early '98 Sportsman 500 (without EBS) that I finally traded off with well over 10,000 miles. It sure was a workhorse and other than a few sets of brake pads, trouble-free. I have to giggle a little when I read posts about staying away from Polaris. Maybe back in the 1980s? They all make a quality product nowadays.

Monkey Wrench said:
Peter SWNH said:

Don't know how I missed this thread?

You did GOOD!!!!

By the way the nick name for polaris in the ATV world is PoPo's.

Or the Polaris bashers call it the very unflattering Poo. ;) :)

Peter SWNH said:

Sharp looking . . . should get the job done!

quads said:
Monkey Wrench said:
I had an early '98 Sportsman 500 (without EBS) that I finally traded off with well over 10,000 miles. It sure was a workhorse and other than a few sets of brake pads, trouble-free. I have to giggle a little when I read posts about staying away from Polaris. Maybe back in the 1980s? They all make a quality product nowadays.

I agree . . . but that said . . . I believe all makes and models have their "Achilles Heel." I know with the Hondas it seems as though I'm always having issues with those darned drum brakes . . . other makes and models have parts that are known weak points.

firefighterjake said:
quads said:
Monkey Wrench said:

I agree . . . but that said . . . I believe all makes and models have their "Achilles Heel." I know with the Hondas it seems as though I'm always having issues with those darned drum brakes . . . other makes and models have parts that are known weak points.
Very true. They all have their little things to not like about them. If they didn't, nobody would ever upgrade and buy a new one! I think Polaris has the brake pad thing licked now though. The Sportsman (without EBS) needed them every 1000 or so. My Hawkeye has 3000 miles on it now and has not needed brake pads yet.

'grats on yer new toy, er tool for gathering firewood..................... °F

Status
Not open for further replies.