Need heatilator help please !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lesley and Aldo

Dec 26, 2017
N1s2w8
Hello. I’m desperately trying to get help for our heatilator double sided fireplace converted to propane model gdst36. It’s minus 20, the house is freezing. We have spent thousands trying to get the problems sorted out. We finally got the first problem fixed. The fireplace was burning but everything would soot up in an hour , after a few hours we couldn’t even see through the glass. We kept telling the installer he needed to find the baffle and open it. After 3 house calls he finally found it and said it was completely closed ... problem fixed ??? Nope, now it burns for 15 seconds before going out with a poof. It stays on if the glass is off. It use to work sometimes and not others. Now it consistently won’t work. We have had several people in to look at it. No one knows what to do . Can anyone advise? Sounds like people have had similar problems which seemed to be a sensor. Thank you in advance for any suggestions

What type of heat do you have in the house?

If it burns with the glass off & goes out with the glass on, the problem is probably in the venting.
Either there is a blockage in the vent in one or both sides (incoming or exhaust) or the vent sections
have come apart, allowing exhaust gases back into the fireplace. Those gases are oxygen depleted
& the flame will extinguish without the O2.

If it burns with the glass off & goes out with the glass on, the problem is probably in the venting.
Either there is a blockage in the vent in one or both sides (incoming or exhaust) or the vent sections
have come apart, allowing exhaust gases back into the fireplace. Those gases are oxygen depleted l
& the flame will extinguish without the O2.

One of the companies that came in determined that it wasn’t installed properly and that there was a break in the venting. I believe they corrected it though I will double check with him. it does also rain in the fireplace and on top of the fireplace when the driving rains come off of the . Last night we ran it for a few minutes with the glass off and it melted the snow which started to drip down the chimney into and on top of the fireplace. I suppose all of that will also suggest there may still be a break in the pipe. Thank you for your response :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the companies that came in determined that it wasn’t installed properly and that there was a break in the venting. I believe they corrected it though I will double check with him. it does also rain in the fireplace and on top of the fireplace when the driving rains come off of the . Last night we ran it for a few minutes with the glass off and it melted the snow which started to drip down the chimney into and on top of the fireplace. I suppose all of that will also suggest there may still be a break in the pipe. Thank you for your response :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have an issue still if it is raining inside the fireplace. If the rain is hitting the top and finding a way in, that could be different. If it is coming straight down the pipe then there is a break somewhere or the cap isn't connected. With the glass on, when you turn it on look for the flames to start getting real thin and then disappear completely. Most I have seen will start to blue up and thin out.