Need help choosing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Erinu2025

Dec 27, 2019
Pa
Hi all!

I have a 2200sq ft wide open floor plan one story pole barn home with a full mason fireplace. Looking to put in a wood burner insert. I was looking for a larger firebox one but am running into issues with epa not allowing them sold anymore. I have come across 2 near me so far the ironstrike montlake 300 but can’t seem to find any reviews and the Quadra fire 5100i which I have read some not great things on. What would be the best in burn time lengths as this would be on 24/7 as only heat. Looking for a great unit would like larger than needed since we will putting an addition on soon. Also looked at the enviro Boston but it had a smaller firebox and have not talked to a dealer to see if I can still get it. Any advice would be great thanks.

Might want to check the Osburn 2400 insert or the PE Summit LE insert.

Agreed, get a large 3 cu ft insert, but maybe plan on a second stove if the addition is going to be large or separated by a door or hallway and the ceiling is high.

Build the addition with a stove room adjoining the rest of the house, big open walkway, as much opening as possible between the stove room and the rest of the house.

Then put a big freestanding stove like a BK King or a Kuma Sequoia in that big open stove room. That BK burns for days. Search forum threads if ya think I'm joking!

Even if you go with a lesser stove, you'll be happier trying to heat your house with a big centrally located freestander than you will with an insert on an outside wall.

Reactions: Indiana wood
How high is the lintel of the fireplace. Could you install a rear flue free stander in front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk