NEED HELP finding replacement part for McCulloch 30 cc brush cutter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drifthopper

Apr 12, 2007
www.drifthoppers.net
McCulloch 30cc Pro-Scaper IV Brush Cutter.
I need input / assistance / help on finding a starter pulley drum for a McCulloch 30cc weed wacker / brush cutter.
Last week and then Monday and Tuesday.... I probably spent 7 to 8 hours on the computer searching the internet and sending out messages ... " Contact Us " messages , e-mails to several part places.
Small engine places, old chainsaw places, E-bay, craigs list / search tempest....etc.. with no luck.
Well..... at least not here in the United States....
I did find this place:

http://www.gardenricambi.com/vendita/it/pulegge/925-mcculloch-236373-puleggia-avviamento.html

( you may have to hit "Translate " if you click the link)

Not sure what country, I e-mailed them, they replied :

Hello, pulley is available but unfortunately we are not be able to ship to USA.

Beste regards

Enrico

The part that is shown in the link is what I need.

This in the parts break-down for the unit :

McCulloch-Gas-Trimmer-Parts-Manuals-11-400049-02-PRO-SCAPER-III-11-84-to-12-88-IPL-219365-01%20(2).pdf

McCulloch's part # 236373

It was used on a few different motors :

Pulley + starter rope used on the following models:

McCulloch EUROPA 92 35 AV, SUPER MAC 30 AV, MAC 30 A, PRO MAC 38 AV, SUPER MAC 38 AV, BP 30 AV, BP 35 AV, BP 38 AV, AQUAMAC 40, AQUAMAC 45, MARINAMAC, AGRIMAC;

Original Ref. 538236373, 236373

I tried searching both those part numbers.... other then that reply from Enrico , i'm not able to locate one.

Any help with where to look, who to call.... is GREATLY appreciated...!!!!!
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

That's funny, I thought McCulloch was an American company.

If the part is unobtainable, it looks like it could be easily repaired by fabricating a "C" shape out of thin sheet metal and riveting it to the inside of the broken spool.

If it ends up that you can't find the part, I'd consider bypassing the pulley and using a drill to start it.

Last edited:
If it ends up that you can't find the part, I'd consider bypassing the pulley and using a drill to start it.

I wouldn't want to track down a drill motor every time I wanted to start or re-start it. I'd buy a new machine before I went down that rabbit hole!

TreePointer.... my buddy aloso suggested using a drill , but would a cordless drill have enough torque to turn it over..?

I also thought about putting in some type of studs in the flywheel and use a rope to start it. Kind'a like the super old lawn mowers where you had to wind the rope up on top and give it a rip....LOL.
But.... I don't know how that would be having studs spinning around out in open air at ...what.....????.... 6000 - 8000 rpm's.

I'm still looking for a pulley, trying to go different internet searches, maybe different wording will give different suppliers.

Again... Any help is greatly appreciated. Maybe someone knows of some "new old stock " at some off - the - wall garage or repair shop.

TreePointer.... my buddy aloso suggested using a drill , but would a cordless drill have enough torque to turn it over..?

I also thought about putting in some type of studs in the flywheel and use a rope to start it. Kind'a like the super old lawn mowers where you had to wind the rope up on top and give it a rip....LOL.
But.... I don't know how that would be having studs spinning around out in open air at ...what.....????.... 6000 - 8000 rpm's.

I'm still looking for a pulley, trying to go different internet searches, maybe different wording will give different suppliers.

Again... Any help is greatly appreciated. Maybe someone knows of some "new old stock " at some off - the - wall garage or repair shop.

Heh, I remember those old mowers. In fact, I inherited my grandfather's wind up mower as the first one I used as a youth.

I never tried starting with a CORDLESS drill, but I wouldn't be surprised if more modern models would be up to the task. Although the rpm's are likely different, I should learn soon because I have an old mower that I'm about to set up for drill starting.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for your pulley or maybe a model that can be cannibalized.

epoxy / liquid weld the broken piece back onto the pulley if you can get the parts

Reactions: TreePointer
epoxy / liquid weld the broken piece back onto the pulley if you can get the parts
That's the 1st thing i did, was try to glue it.
When it first broke, it just split from the outside diameter to the center hub, the piece was cracked, but not totally broken off.
I was going to use regular super glue / zip grip, but when reading the back of the package, it specifically says not for use on plastics.
So I ordered a two part super glue specially for plastic that you mix together and apply.
I cleaned the drum with acetone, mixed it as the directions called out, applied the glue all along and in between the crack, ( the chemicals actually melt the plastic together, the smell is bad ) let it set for more then a day.... put it back together, and only got 5-6 pulls on the rip cord and the pics above is what i got when i took it back apart.

That plastic drum must be so old that its just brittle.

I'm still lookin' for a replacement.

I'm still lookin' for a replacement.

I would just cut and hammer a piece of sheet metal in a "C" shape and rivet it in there. Add a tab to the middle of the "C" so it can be supported with a rivet or screw in the middle, near the hub.

Problem solved.

jetsam..... Thanks...!
Lets see what the power of the internet can bring.
Kramp must be a distributership, they won't sell to individuals.
They are located in Scotland - UK
I e-mailed ( 4 ) different places / individuals that were on the Kamp site - ( 2 ) of them where big farm supply houses, they had their own web sites.

I'll let those who are following this thread if i get any replies back to my e-mails.

It may take a little bit, but my fingers are crossed.

Out of the 4 e -mails i sent out to the UK, i got one supplier to reply.
We exchanged a couple e-mails, and this mornings reply from them was that they show stock for this part, and it should be in, in about 2-3 weeks,,,,
" Do you want us to reserve one for you..?"
I replied... Yes Please.

I don't have the part yet..... but it looks promising.

jetsam...... Thanks Again..!!

Whoop.....Whoop...!

I got it.....!

Wow.... the power of the internet.

Who ever is following this thread..... if you having problems or ....like.... me... can't find something, post it on a forum...!!

I spend maybe the better half of two days pounding the internet trying to find this recoil drum, and didn't come up with what jetsam posted, kramp.com
How he found it, or what search engine he used...... man...... Thanks. Its something that Google didn't pick up.

I e-mailed four different kramp sellers / distributors... got one reply from Tom Smith Parts , they are in the UK, went back and forth with a couple e-mails, they got it in, i did a paypal, and it came the other day in the mail...!!
$22 bucks.... I bet ya ,,here it the states, it probably would'a been more.

I haven't put the brush cutter back together to try it out, its on the shelf out'a the way, it'll be a spring time project,
I'm on to tinkering around with the snowmobiles, getting them ready for the season.

Lucy... if your reading... Thanks for dealing with me on such a small order...!

jetsam...... Thanks again.
IMG_0358.JPG

McCulloch 30cc Pro-Scaper IV Brush Cutter.
I need input / assistance / help on finding a starter pulley drum for a McCulloch 30cc weed wacker / brush cutter.
Last week and then Monday and Tuesday.... I probably spent 7 to 8 hours on the computer searching the internet and sending out messages ... " Contact Us " messages , e-mails to several part places.
Small engine places, old chainsaw places, E-bay, craigs list / search tempest....etc.. with no luck.
Well..... at least not here in the United States....
I did find this place:

http://www.gardenricambi.com/vendita/it/pulegge/925-mcculloch-236373-puleggia-avviamento.html

( you may have to hit "Translate " if you click the link)

Beste regards

Enrico

The part that is shown in the link is what I need.

This in the parts break-down for the unit :

McCulloch-Gas-Trimmer-Parts-Manuals-11-400049-02-PRO-SCAPER-III-11-84-to-12-88-IPL-219365-01%20(2).pdf

McCulloch's part # 236373

It was used on a few different motors :

Pulley + starter rope used on the following models:

McCulloch EUROPA 92 35 AV, SUPER MAC 30 AV, MAC 30 A, PRO MAC 38 AV, SUPER MAC 38 AV, BP 30 AV, BP 35 AV, BP 38 AV, AQUAMAC 40, AQUAMAC 45, MARINAMAC, AGRIMAC;

Original Ref. 538236373, 236373

I tried searching both those part numbers.... other then that reply from Enrico , i'm not able to locate one.

Any help with where to look, who to call.... is GREATLY appreciated...!!!!!
View attachment 200132 View attachment 200133
View attachment 200130 View attachment 200131
Why not weld it?

Edit: Forget it. I see you got a new one.