Need help identifying chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aparr9

Dec 14, 2022
Mid Michigan
We bought this 1969 house with an existing chimney. I cannot find a label anywhere. .. It was used for a free standing appliance (brick wall + ceiling support box intact, just no stove when we purchased) not sure which type. They had covered top with thin sheet metal (pictured), I’m guessing because we get high winds off a farm field.

My gut says it’s probably not ok to use with newer stoves, but I don’t want to rip something out that is still good… and just needs someone come out inspect/clean it. On the other hand, I don’t want pay $300+ for someone to come out and tell me it’s useless if I can figure that out myself lol. I’ve google for hoursssss….and am stumped.

This is all new to me 😅. Any help appreciated!

98EE72F7-16C1-413C-A225-33C4149911F2.jpeg 63CF54DE-EBF0-43EE-B62C-4302F2F5175A.png

Hard to tell from pics, is it galvanized steel or is it stainless steel?

Not sure but it looks in pretty poor shape

Looks like triple wall. Not the best, but if it is intact with no rot holes, I don't see why you can't use it. As far as being short, looks close, but by just the photo, can't be positive. If you decide to replace, forego triple wall and go with double wall.

Looks like triple wall. Not the best, but if it is intact with no rot holes, I don't see why you can't use it. As far as being short, looks close, but by just the photo, can't be positive. If you decide to replace, forego triple wall and go with double wall.
My concern is that it may be so old as to be lower temp rated, especially if air cooled triple wall. It does not look to be 2 ft higher than the roof within 10' ft. Not sure if it is 3ft above the roof. It may be.

Can you get into the attic and see if there are any tags on the pipe. Looks like air jet to me.

My concern is that it may be so old as to be lower temp rated, especially if air cooled triple wall. It does not look to be 2 ft higher than the roof within 10 ft. Not sure if it is 3 ft above the roof. It may be.
It’s lived its life either way. Doesn’t look tall enough and worn out… time to upgrade

Reactions: begreen