Need help to install wood stove!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ruslansulima

Dec 15, 2017
Wood stove
Hello, I’m not professional HVAC tech, but I’m trying to do this project and I could use some help/advice.
We purchased a house and it had two fireplaces. We decided to demolish the one on the second floor and put a wood burning stove.
I got an older model, silent hill, which has an 8” exhaust.
When I removed the old fireplace inside of the chimney we had 12 by 12 ceramic pipe, which I still have about 3 ft left sticking out from the top of the chimney.
I got a 8” single wall pipe that I’m planning to put directly inside the chimney. Also I’m planning to put a wall thimble to go through my wall.

Can anyone please help me and tell me if this is the right way to do it or there is a better way?

Attachments

• 9747F843-CAAB-4C2A-A338-C429F0076688.jpeg
    9747F843-CAAB-4C2A-A338-C429F0076688.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 152
  • C9B5CF3E-F578-42C7-A5A0-B2B452087016.jpeg
    C9B5CF3E-F578-42C7-A5A0-B2B452087016.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 131
Hello, I’m not professional HVAC tech, but I’m trying to do this project and I could use some help/advice.
We purchased a house and it had two fireplaces. We decided to demolish the one on the second floor and put a wood burning stove.
I got an older model, silent hill, which has an 8” exhaust.
When I removed the old fireplace inside of the chimney we had 12 by 12 ceramic pipe, which I still have about 3 ft left sticking out from the top of the chimney.
I got a 8” single wall pipe that I’m planning to put directly inside the chimney. Also I’m planning to put a wall thimble to go through my wall.

Can anyone please help me and tell me if this is the right way to do it or there is a better way?
No it isnt. What is left of the old masonry and what is supporting it? Regardless you will need to build a masonry structure to put your liner in.
Is the single wall pipe you have stainless? If it is that is fine but it will need insulated with an approved chimney liner insulation.

Then you have to deal with stove clearances. Unless your stove is ul listed and has a tag on the back telling you required clearances you will need 36" to combustibles in all directions. Which could be accomplished by swithching to steel studs and mineral wool insulation behind the stove. That will also address the wall passthrough. To go through a combustible wall you will need 12" of solid masonry surrounding that pipe