Need help with an Avalon Newport.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

StirnPanzer

Jul 25, 2020
Ontario, OR
Good day all,

I'm currently working on an Avalon Newport (and I despise Avalon stoves, by the way)that the original issue was replacement of the convection blower. Now I've got an issue with it blowing both fuses immediately after plugging in the stove. I'm at my wits end on it. The troubleshooting guide isn't much help other then telling me to replace the fuses. At the present time I'm getting ready to start chasing wires in the harness to look for any breaks or bare spots that might be grounding out. Is there anything that I could be missing? What would be causing this stove to immediately blow both fuses when the power comes on? Also did I mention that I utterly despise Avalons? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get this stove fixed and out of my shop for the customer.

Auto ignite? Check the wires on the element

It is auto ignition, and I took care to ensure that they weren't grounding or touching each other, as well as double checked all connections before plugging it into power. After it popped fuses the second time, I disconnected both the convection blower and the igniter to try and eliminate them as a possible source and had the same thing happen. I called the owner of the stove back to see if there was anything else I should know about the stove in regards to how it was running prior to my getting there to replace the blower...meaning was there anything else going on with it that they forgot to tell me about. I found out that the stove was surging, and was having trouble igniting prior to my service call. That leads me to think that the board is toast, but is there anything else that could cause it to do this?