Need help with gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jayingray

Jan 20, 2023
Macon GA
I have an Empire ventless gas fireplace that runs off propane. The issues started with the pilot light flickering and would go out. I have replaced the entire assembly of the thermopile, thermocouple etc.
unfortunately it’s still doing basically the same thing. Pilot will light but when i turn the fireplace on it will slowly start, burn a bit then go out.
I tried to attach a short 15 second video but evidently it’s too large to attach

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Take a look at the pilot tube. There is a small hole in it, usually in the back side. This is the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS). It can get partially or fully plugged with dust, pet hair, lint or pet dander. Try clearing it out with a can of compressed air. It should work fine. Let us now how you make out.

Ok I will try that but I would have thought that when I replaced that entire assembly (including pilot light tube) that it would have eliminated and possibly issues I could have with the pilot light….just puzzling 🤨

Ok I will try that but I would have thought that when I replaced that entire assembly (including pilot light tube) that it would have eliminated and possibly issues I could have with the pilot light….just puzzling 🤨
Make sure that the logs were reinstalled correctly. Also check to make sure that all the wiring is connected correctly.
The wall switch may be faulty, you can easily check this by removing the low volt wires from the switch and touching them together.
Check the voltage of the thermopile.