Need help with Harman (Absolute43c) Pellet Stove ESP failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bkwang000

Feb 1, 2022
Bangor, Maine
Hi there, I have a Harman Absolute43c pellet stove about 10 years new, lightly used. I only used about two years and not well cleaned. I saw on screen a red message "Exhaust sensing probe failure" recently, and the fan stopped randomly. I pulled out the probe, and have it cleaned. The ESP notice remained. I checked with other places, and cleaned burn pot, and underneath (igniter space), ash pan, , combustion fan. The issue is still there, and even worse: room fan lose control, and keep going to very strong, but fire flame stays little; stove cannot shut down. I don't know how to verify the probe is really dead, should I just go ahead have the probe replaced, or there is anything else I need to take care. thanks for help in advance.

Ten years is a decent life time for an ESP. There are generic probes available from PelletHead for ~ $20. There are two type available Red Wire and Black wire and a dip switch is needed to convert from one to another. I believe the red ones are now standard.

If you have access to an ohm meter, the red wire probes should have a resistance of 1.1K ohms at 70*F. You will have to detach the connector from the computer board to test yours.

Good luck

Hugh

Replace the ESP and keep an extra on hand

Reactions: Mt Bob
I didnt realize the Touch Control has been out for 10 years?

Reactions: Mt Bob
Replace the ESP and keep an extra on hand

Ten years is a decent life time for an ESP. There are generic probes available from PelletHead for ~ $20. There are two type available Red Wire and Black wire and a dip switch is needed to convert from one to another. I believe the red ones are now standard.

If you have access to an ohm meter, the red wire probes should have a resistance of 1.1K ohms at 70*F. You will have to detach the connector from the computer board to test yours.

Good luck

Hugh
Thanks a lot for your response. Yes I have a red one. I will replace it today. Thanks a lot for all the replies to my post.

Binke

Needs ESP. On your stove,if happens again, open hopper lid, pellets will quit feeding and will shut down.

Hi there, I have a Harman Absolute43c pellet stove about 10 years new, lightly used. I only used about two years and not well cleaned. I saw on screen a red message "Exhaust sensing probe failure" recently, and the fan stopped randomly. I pulled out the probe, and have it cleaned. The ESP notice remained. I checked with other places, and cleaned burn pot, and underneath (igniter space), ash pan, , combustion fan. The issue is still there, and even worse: room fan lose control, and keep going to very strong, but fire flame stays little; stove cannot shut down. I don't know how to verify the probe is really dead, should I just go ahead have the probe replaced, or there is anything else I need to take care. thanks for help in advance.
Just want to wrap up my post. I have the ESP probe replaced and all of those odd things gone. Now stove comes running as normal. Thanks a lot to all of those above who made input and responses. Your helps were greatly appreciated. Binke