Need Help With Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwite01

Feb 5, 2009
Ct.
I was up at my buddies home this weekend and he just had a Central wood burning boiler installed. The installers ran the supply and return lines into the home, but the pipe is only marked central pex potable water. I thought it has to be with the oxy barrier? The other question is that they took a pressurized 4 zone oil fired heating system and de-pressurised it by tying the supply and return pex lines directly to the boiler. Now the system is not heating correctly and we continue to purge it out, but with no luck.

The CB is an open system, so it doesn't need the O2 Barrier pex, but running that water through a cast iron boiler could cause it to be badly damaged in short order. Ditto for any cast iron pumps, radiators, and so forth.

Your best recovery method would probably be to get a hefty flat plate heat exchanger, (and some filters in line on the CB side) and plumb it so the CB can run open on one side, and you can restore the existing system to it's pressurized state.

Gooserider

Unbelieveable! I can't believe some of the things that get done by 'professional' installers. I've got an excuse for my lame install....I'm not a professional (and ignorant for that matter).....they've got no excuse!.

:)

np

dwite01 said:
I was up at my buddies home this weekend and he just had a Central wood burning boiler installed. The installers ran the supply and return lines into the home, but the pipe is only marked central pex potable water. I thought it has to be with the oxy barrier? The other question is that they took a pressurized 4 zone oil fired heating system and de-pressurised it by tying the supply and return pex lines directly to the boiler. Now the system is not heating correctly and we continue to purge it out, but with no luck.

Given that the installers de-pressurized a conventional heating system, I would wonder if they were truly licensed installers.
Here in Maine, you need to be a licensed oil fired heating technician to tie into the system. What they did is stupid and most likely
not done by any heating professional.

I'm at a loss for words............ but "shoot them" comes close.
They've committed a crime against humanity.

Any and all heating systems open or not should use O2 barrier tube. Why not keep as much crud out of the system as possible? Why eat up your oxygen scavenging chemicals faster than necessary? For the difference in cost............duh?

The CB (.......why is it always CB installers.......) needs to be isolated with a heat exchanger of some kind. Close the CI boiler side of things back up or it will turn into scrap metal very quickly. Your buddy will never be able to get all the air out of the system the way it is right now.

I'll bet they had the "best" price.

heaterman said:
I'm at a loss for words............ but "shoot them" comes close.
They've committed a crime against humanity.

Any and all heating systems open or not should use O2 barrier tube. Why not keep as much crud out of the system as possible? Why eat up your oxygen scavenging chemicals faster than necessary? For the difference in cost............duh?

The CB (.......why is it always CB installers.......) needs to be isolated with a heat exchanger of some kind. Close the CI boiler side of things back up or it will turn into scrap metal very quickly. Your buddy will never be able to get all the air out of the system the way it is right now.

I'll bet they had the "best" price.

Remembering previous threads on CB installs.... How much you willing to bet the tubing size was smaller than it needed to be as well??

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.