Need help with my st. Croix pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wi farmboy

Nov 1, 2017
Wisconsin
Hi, I got a st. Croix pellet stove that came with a house I had bought but has no manual. Lately the stove doesn't seem to push as much heat out as it did the first time I used it. The flame will die down than shoot back up to the top of the stove along with shooting sparks everywhere while it's in the process of turning the glass black to the point I can't hardly see anything so I have to clean it every time I burn a bag. So I'm curious what I'm doing wrong.

What Model is it?
Can you post a pic so we can help?

I'm not sure what model it is.

Attachments

• Snapchat-906545000.jpg
    Snapchat-906545000.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 89
Hello
Model looks like a Prescott
This model has 2 holes, one on each side of the pellet drop chute above the burn pot behind the fire brick.
The St Croix "Periodic Maintenance" video for St Croix Prescott EXL has a cut away stove and shows a very brief cleaning the holes behind the fire brick with an auto or lawn mower choke cable!! I still like the leaf blower trick better!

See pic of freeze frame below! Pic shows choke cable in hole on left side of pellet drop chute.
Video goes too fast over this point! Also says to use a cordless drill and old lawn mower choke cable to clean these holes. I used a compressor and a leaf blower and disconnect the vacuum switch to prevent damage to it. See choke cable in pic below.t

Also see Attached PDF - St Croix Tech buliten on cleaning these holes.
Good Luck

Attachments

• FDC1E0EE-4E51-4A09-A214-669F0F40F792.png
    FDC1E0EE-4E51-4A09-A214-669F0F40F792.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 160
  • StCroixPrescottCleaningPath.pdf
    809.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Reactions: heat seeker