Need help with older model Quadrafire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JaneBG

Dec 19, 2022
Maine
Hi. I have an older model Santa Fe. I recently replaced the vacuum switch and hose as pellets wouldn't drop. That fixed it but control box was buzzing. This morning, no buzzing, pellets dropped, igniter heated but no flame. Rechecked holes in pot. Seem clear. My thermocouple cable is very dirty and is flat as it comes out of stove base. Looks crushed. Could this be it or is it likely my control box is bad? Appreciate your help. Thank you

Did you pull the plate out and give the stove and exhaust a full cleaning. Was the inside of the stove real black and sooty like it is starving for air?

Thank you. The stove had recently been cleaned but I did it again. Should I pull off the stove pipe to the chimney? Could there be built up ash in there?I just tried it again and pellets drop, igniter comes on, no flame.

Thank you. The stove had recently been cleaned but I did it again. Should I pull off the stove pipe to the chimney? Could there be built up ash in there?I just tried it again and pellets drop, igniter comes on, no flame.
When was the last time you or someone else cleaned the stove pipe (venting pipe) and the chimney? It sounds like there may be a blockage there.

When was the last time you or someone else cleaned the stove pipe (venting pipe) and the chimney? It sounds like there may be a blockage there.
Thank you! I inherited this stove and it's my first. I ended up taking the exhaust pipe plug off the bottom of the vent and there was a lot of ash in there. I noticed a definite increase in the fan after this. I'm going to have to pull the stove out and vacuum the exhaust pipe. I had to stop because I'm leaving for family Christmas. Thanks for all the help. I'll check back in after Christmas. Happy and merry holidays to y'all.

Hi ! I'm back from Christmas. I have pulled the stove out and cleaned the flue pipes, stuck a shop vac in the stove exhaust, cleaned the space in the chimney. It was very dirty and definitely clogged. So it's all back together and still won't light. Red light on control box is on, pellets come down, igniter turns on, fan is running. No flame. Is there another place I should have cleaned? Could a snap disc have snapped? I'm at a loss. Thanks in advance😊

Does the igniter turn to red in color?

Is the gate on the bottom of the burn pot closed completely?

How much of a gap is there between the top of the gate and the bottom of the burn pot? There should be about the thickness of a dime for a gap there.

You mentioned previously that the holes in the burn pot seemed clear. Maybe recheck them again.

It sounds like there is not enough airflow across the igniter to get the pellets hot enough to start.

Did you try to start a fire manually to see what would happen? This should be explained in your owners manual.

Hi and thank you. I have been able to get the stove going by manually starting a fire in the pot. Stove runs great then, but won't relight on its own. So today I fiddled with it a bit and discovered two more clogged air holes in the bottom of the pot. Presto!! Stove is running great! Here's what I've learned: 1. air flow is the key to everything. 2. When doing the monthly cleaning, add a brush with a 10' reach to snake up through the vent system. 3. Pull the stove out at the end of the burn season and give it a good cleaning. 4. Online help is amazing. This year I fixed my washing machine, vacuum cleaner, and now the pellet stove. Thank you all so much😊

Reactions: Former Farmer