Need help with outdoor water stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thechap

Jan 20, 2008
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for all your help. I recently purchased a Mountaineer outdoor stove manufactured by Crown Stoves of Pa. It is installed 100 feet from my home. I plan on heating my 2000 square foot home with it as well as the domestic hot water. I have already buried the one inch and 3/4 inch pex tubing, but now comes the nightmare, hooking this thing up to my oil burner hot water system and the hot water tank. The manual basically doesn't show squat on what to do. What size of water pumps will I need and how many valves and where will they go. The pex tubing is run into my two car attached garage which I now plan on installing some type of baseboard heat, but what type? Will I need to run pex tubing to the furnace and hot water tank or can pvc pipe work? I hope someone can help me out with this!! Oh, by the way I have also purchased the heat exchanger.

Many thanks,

Bryan

If you bought the boiler form a dealer, they should be able to help you with a basic system design. Otherwise, you'll need to find a local resource who can help you with the basic layout. The questions that you're asking are tough to answer without seeing the system.

Couple of thoughts, though:

1) PVC is not rated for extended use at high temperatures. PEX is the way to go for this application.

2) Do you need to consider freeze protection for the garage? Using antifreeze is pretty expensive, and it doesn't last forever.

There are a LOT of options for plumbing, circulators, valves, and controls. Someone with experience could get you a lot closer after spending an hour on-site. I had a guy from the local plumbing supply place visit me 20 years ago. Free advice for me, and a good deal for him - I bought a ton of supplies from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.