Need help with Quadrafire Mt Vernon Non AE blower replacement please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

garybeck

Dec 7, 2010
Vermont
My local dealer doesn't seem to want to help me that much and I'm guessing that if I know what parts I need I can get them online cheaper anyway.

So can you help me?

I think I have more than one issue. I'll start with saying I'm pretty sure the combustion blower needs to be replaced. It is quite noisy. And it I think it is not blowing at full capacity because the flame is lower than usual and on the low setting it won't even start.

So I am attempting to remove/replace the combustion blower and I could use some help. I have removed all sheet metal around it and I just don't want to take anything apart that I don't have to.

I've attached a photo of what I'm looking at. any advice on what I need to do next, to avoid taking anything apart that I don't need to? thanks

My main question now is, do I go for the screws that are circled in red or blue?

IMG_20191021_121407007[1].jpg

then after i replace the blower, i think i might need a new control unit because at the end of the cycle, the other blower (the one that blows hot air into the room) doesn't shut off. but for now I'm going to first replace the combustion blower

any advice is appreciated. thank you!

You will need to loosen the red nuts. Then rotate the fan slightly counterclockwise and slip/wiggle the fan until the enlarged holes slip over the nuts. Make sure you unplug the stove. Also, looks like the old "single use" gasket which more than likely will break upon disassembly. Get a new one. They are more flexible and forgiving. Good luck. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: garybeck
You will need to loosen the red nuts. Then rotate the fan slightly counterclockwise and slip/wiggle the fan until the enlarged holes slip over the nuts. Make sure you unplug the stove. Also, looks like the old "single use" gasket which more than likely will break upon disassembly. Get a new one. They are more flexible and forgiving. Good luck. BTW, welcome to the forum.
thank you very much!!!

Thanks to your suggestion, i got the fan out.

now i'm looking for recommendation on a replacement :)

is this it?

thanks so much!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks about right. Is the part returnable if it turns out to be the wrong one?

is this it?

is this it?

I’m pretty sure that’s a Lenox profile 30/ 20/ optima/ etc blower and I don’t think it is the same size but it might be. That’s a lot cheaper than the MSRP for the factory motor which is now $609. I don’t remember ever seeing another stove with that same motor but more power to you if you can get one to work.

I pulled the old motor out and it has this number on it: 119394-00. no brand name. I googled the part number and found this on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B00E3GMIVG
it looks like the same motor. However it comes mounted to a different housing so I would have to remove that. which makes me think I might have to use my fan blade too.

has anyone here tried this kind of a swap, instead of the $600 motor from the dealer?

by the way I tested my motor, removed from the stove. it runs. it does make some sound but it seems louder inside the stove. also I noticed the blade wabbles a tiny bit. not sure if it's the blade or the axle.

It can be done! But if the motor specs aren’t the same or close your control board could be the next replacement part. I know the oem stuff is expensive but most OEM have the motors designed for their electronics and vice versa. I have a frankenstove in my garage that has had many blower motors and fried many boards but i can fix them myself and keep experimenting. So i would not want to be the one to tell you to try it and you cook some triacs and be upset. We all want to help folks but sometimes spending the $$$ is worth the peace of mind.

It can be done! But if the motor specs aren’t the same or close your control board could be the next replacement part. I know the oem stuff is expensive but most OEM have the motors designed for their electronics and vice versa. I have a frankenstove in my garage that has had many blower motors and fried many boards but i can fix them myself and keep experimenting. So i would not want to be the one to tell you to try it and you cook some triacs and be upset. We all want to help folks but sometimes spending the $$$ is worth the peace of mind.
thanks. good advice. i might need a new control board anyway. before i started ripping the thing apart, the symptoms were:

loud combustion blower
won't start on low setting. have to turn it up to the high setting to get it started
flame seems lower on each of the 4 settings than it was before
some pellets getting blown around before they are completely burnt
glass door getting dirty faster.
sometimes the convection blower doesn't turn off at the end of the cycle

i figured since the blower is loud i should start there. i figured if the blower is dying it would push less air and account for most of that. but also thinking i might need a control board too because not all that can be explained by a dying blower, i don't think. in particular, the other blower doesn't turn off.

well I wouldn’t rule out the board yet. The stove should operate as follows. Turn on (no thermostat) combustion motor should start, auger should start feeding (periodically), igniter should beguin to get hot. This will go on for 10-15 min. Once a fire starts the flame will heat the thermocouple and it’s ceramic cover (which should stick into the burn pot at least an inch). As it reaches 200::F the control box should show a green led and the auger will give it a few more pellets as it burns a little more the green led should turn red which means the stove has reached 700::F and it should be close to or at the end of start up and then goes into run mode and yor convection blower should start running. Now when you shut the stove off the blowers will run till the snap disc’s open for each blower. Exhaust will shut down first, the convection blower won’t shut down till the stove has cooled and it could take 45 min.

if you have pellets dancing that is good going out of the pot is to much air. Low flame , dirty window indicates poor air flow now im confused

How many blowers are in a quadrafire mt Vernon ae, I have a ticking noise that seems to fluctuate with the air flow coming out after start up. Convection blower ? During start up and shut down I can hear the tick and almost count the rpms until gets to fast and then it sounds like a drumroll until shut down, then at the very end I can count the tick until it stops and everything is done. Just wondering how to diagnose where this ticking sound is coming from and then I can go from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I watched a video I found posted by john193 I think, he talked about taking out a blower and cleaning it. Which will probably be very helpful.

Chris

Your convection blower(fan) should be removed
and have a good cleaning at least once a year.
If you have pets probably more often
The combustion fan should also be cleaned
It is part of the yearly maintenance.

Your convection blower(fan) should be removed
and have a good cleaning at least once a year.
If you have pets probably more often
The combustion fan should also be cleaned
It is part of the yearly maintenance.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post, still learning about this stove. Is the convection blower the fan that blows the hot air into the living room? It starts to turn on after about 10 min. The combustion fan helps ignite the pellets and air flow within the stove itself and comes on right from the start?

Totaly correct