Need pellet vent advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickster

Jul 19, 2008
CT
Since my Quad is apparently on infinite backorder, I would like to do as much as I can to prepare for the delivery and install.
I am planning to install the vent pipe myself, and have decided a single vertical vent is my best option. Based on the attached photo, how high will the pipe need to be once it exits the roof?
Will I need double or triple vent pipe for the inside portion? (I do plan to burn corn as well).
Also, I have heard good things about the Selkirk brand of pipe, but cannot find a source where I can talk to someone and put together a package. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I just got a pellet price of $380 per ton from the same dealer in CT!

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 374
DO NOT USE SINGLE WALL FOR PELLET OR CORN! YES I AM YELLING!

Please use a brand name pipe.

Thanks
Eric

Are you putting the stove in front of those windows? I seem to remember something about them having to be fixed (can't be opened) when a stove is in front of them....maybe I'm way off base on that?

And $380 for pellets :gulp: ...that was for the dealer you're buying the stove from? Did you get a good price from him on the stove, as they seem to be trying to make it up on you w/ the pellets. Their $250 - 279 around me.

I KNOW NOT TO USE SINGLE WALL PIPE
I was wondering if I need double or triple, and if I need one specific to muti-fuel.
Also, I can disable the windows if I have too.
My main concern is the adjacent roof, being so much higher in relation to the roof over the stove pipe.
Thanks for the link BTW.

Rickster said:
I KNOW NOT TO USE SINGLE WALL PIPE
I was wondering if I need double or triple, and if I need one specific to muti-fuel.
Also, I can disable the windows if I have too.
My main concern is the adjacent roof, being so much higher in relation to the roof over the stove pipe.
Thanks for the link BTW.
You need one that is certified for Corn (it's got a higher acidic exhaust so you need better pipe than pellets).

As for the height - you need to be 1' above the roof where you exit. Not sure how close that other roof is but the next generally applicable rule would be 3' above any roof height within 10 feet (horizontally). Technically speaking (ref: NFPA 211) you'd be okay with the 1 foot requirement. From a drafting perspective, the 3' would probably be better.

Pellet vent Pro is rated for corn.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.