Need replacement chain for Stihl 63 PMC 62. Anybody know what it is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
A couple years ago, I bought some 63 PMC 62 for my dad's 18" Craftman and it made a world of difference on that saw. Now, my brother needs a new chain for his Homelite 4218c (i.e., UT10517) and it appears it uses the same chain. 3/8" pitch, .050 gauge, 62 drive links, and micro cutters. Thing is, I cannot find yellow Stihl chain in this configuration. It appears Stihl has changed all is prefixes, abbreviations, nomenclature, etc. for its chains. Anybody know what today's equivalent is called?

Even my 26 RSC 74 for my MS261 has been changed. Just when I thought I had this stuff figured out, the manufacturer throws me for a loop, no pun intended.

The "C" was dropped from the Stihl chain model names, so RSC is now simply RS, RSC3 is RS3, etc.
----------
3/8 pitch is not the same as 3/8LP (low profile) pitch. According to the Oregon Selector Guide, the Homelite you mentioned uses 3/8LP (check the stamp on the bar to make sure). Stihl happens to call that pitch PICCO.

P = PICCO (3/8LP)
M = Micro (semi-chisel shaped tooth)
S = Super (chisel shaped tooth)
3 = low-kickback (safety chain, green)

So...

PM3 = 3/8LP, semi-chisel tooth, low kickback
PS3 = 3/8LP, full chisel tooth, low kickback

Yes, there is no regular/professional (yellow) 3/8LP chain "shown" on Stihl's webpage; however, you may be happy with the full chisel version (PS3) even though it's a green chain.

Interestingly, BaileysOnline advertises Stihl PS chain (3/8LP, full chisel, yellow).
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...in-Loop-63PS-62-Drive-Links-3617-005-0062.axd

Last edited:
Reactions: dougand3
Reactions: TreePointer
Oregon 91VXL is 3/8LP pitch, semi-chisel, non-safety chain. It has a nice long tooth, too!

Loop with 62 links for 18" bar: 91VXL-62

Is the Stihl chain worth the extra 50% in cost? The Oregon chain is $14.44 and I believe the Stihl chain is $21.28. I really like the 63 PMC 62, and would probably like the 63 PS 62, but I don't know if it is worth 50% more in cost versus the Oregon chain.

I've never used that particular Oregon chain, but I've used .325 pitch and 3/8 pitch Oregon (also rebadged as Husqvarna) chain and have been pleased.

I mostly use Stihl chain because the cutters are a little harder (more chrome plating) and my Stihl dealer has deals on chain (buy one, get one half price -or- buy two, get third free). In general, the harder cutters means they will stay sharper a tad longer but will take harder files to sharpen them. For many this difference isn't an issue.

If you're not a professional cutter and a chain lasts you a long time, then the extra $7 might not be worth worrying about if the Stihl chain is closer to what you want. There's no sense spending a lot of time obsessing over a $7 decision. I'd be most concerned about the chisel vs. semi-chisel distinction, in case you dislike sharpening or frequently cut dirty wood.

If you're not a professional cutter and a chain lasts you a long time, then the extra $7 might not be worth worrying about if the Stihl chain is closer to what you want. There's no sense spending a lot of time obsessing over a $7 decision. I'd be most concerned about the chisel vs. semi-chisel distinction, in case you dislike sharpening or frequently cut dirty wood.

You are correct and that is why I ordered two of the Stihl chains from Baileys last night. Not only that, but they are for my brother and he is paying for them. He can afford the extra $7 more than I can.

I am not a professional cutter by any means. I am an attorney/CPA by day, and a firewood processor on a couple weekends. Probably process 7 to 10 cords a year for my dad and I to use at our houses. This year though, a lot more since my buddy has a tree company dropping off log loads at his place and we are both hammering out the firewood. I was 3 years ahead before he even started having the log loads dropped off. On the other hand, my buddy is still getting this year's wood straight and he wants to get 3+ years ahead. He keeps telling me he wants to have 30 cord on hand.

I'm about to buy 6 loops of 26 RS 74 for my MS261. Don't feel like sharpening a couple chains at a time. Might as well sharpen 10 at a time and be done with sharpening for a while. Last year I bought 7 loops of 33 RSC for my MS660 and have not dulled all of them yet.

Trying to stop looking at new chain saws. lol

Reactions: TreePointer
Status
Not open for further replies.