Need some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blwells45

Sep 18, 2012
Newbie here who is looking to start cheating the oil company this winter and I need your advice. I've been doing quite a bit of research into stoves and while I love the look of the cast pellets stoves like the GC60 or the M55 or the Avalon Arbor..... they are a bit outside of my price range, as far as what I've seen online and here in the forums.

So, as I've looked around these forums, it seems to me that the line that is more in my price range is the Englanders. Seems like people are generally satisfied with their performance and customer support. (If you're not, I'd like to know about it.) So, I've pretty much determined that I will be ordering an Englander of some form.

My home is a small ranch, just over 1200 sq ft. At one end of the house is a cathedral ceiling'd open floor plan "great room" that has Kitchen/dining room on one side and the living room on the other. The bedrooms and bath are on the other half of the house off of a hall down the middle. It is pretty well insulated. And is currently heated by a forced hot air oil furnace. However, the house never feels warm during the winter. My wife complains she's cold all winter but I'm a heat nazi and tell her to go put another sweater on. Which doesn't make me husband of the year, for sure. So, in part that's why I'm looking at a pellet stove in that I'm hoping that it will warm more evenly than the forced hot air.

So, this is where I need your expert advice. My plan is to put the pellet stove in the corner of the living room. Am I crazy to think that the pellet stove will warm more evenly, especially in the kitchen/living/dining area?

Second, my basement is half garage (which is unheated) and then half unfinished at the back. The furnace is vented into that part of the basement. I'm afraid that if I turn the furnace totally off, my pipes might freeze. And, since the laundry room is down there, I'm also worried about the wife being cold and me having to walk around in dirty clothes because she refuses to do my laundry..... :) There is a stair that comes up from the basement into the dining room. Just not sure how to get the heat to go down since it naturally rises. A fan doesn't seem practical. Any thoughts? Anyone else faced this? How did you handle it? Eventually, I plan on finishing the basement into a mancave and I'd like to put a fireplace/stove down there. But, can't afford to buy 2 stoves right now.

Finally, I'm trying to decide between a few stoves. I'm looking at the Timberridge line. I've looked at the 55-TRP10 which looks like it would be large enough for my home since it is rated up to 1500 sq. ft. However, for a couple of hundred dollars more, I could get the 55-TRP22 which is rated up to 2200 sq. ft. Would you drop the extra couple hundred dollars for the extra horse power? And, if I were to go that route, I'm thinking, should I do the 49-TRCPM for a few hundred dollars more and get the multi-fuel capabilities? I'm not even sure what other fuel options are available in the Northeast. I know that corn has become so expensive that currently its not viable as a fuel source. However, should things change there is part of me that would like to have the flexibility. Thoughts?

Let me end by saying thanks. I appreciate the wisdom and knowledge that has been shared here in these forums. Hoping that I will join the ranks of you pellet pigs soon.

Brian
Upstate NY aka God's Country

First of all, welcome to the forum and hello from "downstate" (Hudson Valley). LOTS of very knowledgeable people on here that can answer most any question you'll have.

The choice of an Englander is a good one. Solid, reliable stoves with unmatched customer service and made in the USA. Don't know if you've snooped around much in the forum, but Englanders Senior Tech (Mike Holton) is a regular visitor and contributor here. That's one of the big reasons I bought the 10-CPM (same as the 49-TRCPM ).

Another nice stove is the EP series.....single auger design like the 10-cpm.

BTW, don't know if you decided on where you were going to buy one, but this place is a VERY good choice....you can get a factory refurbed unit for a LOT less $$, and it still has a full warranty and free shipping. Myself and quite a few others on the forum bought their stoves here:

www.amfmenergy.com/manufacturer-refurbished-stoves.html

imacman,
Yes, amfmenergy is where I was looking. And, the fact that Mike is a contributor here is another reason why I'm leaning towards an Englander product.

With your 10-CPM, what are you burning? Do you burn straight pellets or are there other alternatives you're using? If I'm going to stay straight pellet then for a home my size would your recommend the smaller unit (TRP-10) or opt for a bit more fire power (TRP-22)?

I was looking at the EP line, but doesn't appear that amfm has the refurbs in stock. I do like the way they look, though.

Brian

Have you looked into pellet furnaces? you might be able to do a central heat option for about the same price as a stove, hearth and new chimney upstairs.

Brian,
A pellet stove is in all reality....a space heater.
While it may "heat your house" from the basement you would have much better results placing the stove in a functional area of the house.
Plus you get the ambiance of having a fire in your living area to enjoy (read fiddle with). :)

As for your pipes freezing....there are systems that can be installed that will prevent that if you need it.
Some as simple as wrapping your pipes with a thermal blanket.
To active systems that mix hot water into the cold supply periodically.
And there is always "Heat Tape" electrical heat cords that wrap your pipes.
All of these of course "use energy"

What ever stove or furnace you choose keep in mind several things.
--Pellet stoves need frequent basic maintenance (cleaning). Some daily, some can go weeks between cleanings.
--Have several nearby sources of fuel. Pellets are plentiful now but they may not always be.
--Stoves need to be fully cleaned a couple of times a season (most folks do it after every ton of fuel)
This is a necessary thing to do to maintain efficiency. Make sure you can get to your stove.
--Fuel storage has to be thought of. Most of us stockpile several tons (pallets) of pellets at a time,
You need to have a flat dry area to store them in. A couple of pallets of pellets take up a significant amount of space.
--The members of Hearth.com are very willing to help you out. Don't always rely on your dealer. Ask before spending.

I love my stove and probably would not live without one ever again.
But, I live on Cape Cod and only own 1 tree. If I had a ready source of firewood I would probably heat with cord wood.
Just from a $$$ standpoint. Everyone's situation is different.

Having had both in the past.....Pellet stoves are much cleaner than wood stoves to live with. And much fewer bugs. :eek:

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Reactions: Eatonpcat
hi brian,

how about we have a chat about what you are looking to do heatwise, maybe PM me a daytime number and i can call you from the office, maybe give me a rough time to call ya. not looking to give you a sales pitch but rather discuss what we are looking to heat and the best way to do it. i'll be in the office 8-5 this week (eastern) so i'd be able to chat with you about it.

Reactions: blwells45
hi brian,

how about we have a chat about what you are looking to do heatwise, maybe PM me a daytime number and i can call you from the office, maybe give me a rough time to call ya. not looking to give you a sales pitch but rather discuss what we are looking to heat and the best way to do it. i'll be in the office 8-5 this week (eastern) so i'd be able to chat with you about it.

tell me....what other company is gonna give you customer service like that !

Reactions: blwells45
hi brian,

Thanks Mike. Phone number sent. Look forward to hearing from you.

....With your 10-CPM, what are you burning? Do you burn straight pellets or are there other alternatives you're using? If I'm going to stay straight pellet then for a home my size would your recommend the smaller unit (TRP-10) or opt for a bit more fire power (TRP-22)?.....
Brian, I mostly burn wood pellets since corn is way too $$. I have burned grass pellets, but those aren't much cheaper, and the high ash content makes them a lot of work.

As for which unit, I'd tend to favor the bigger unit. At worst, you can always turn it down, but a small unit that can't keep up is a problem.

Mike H. will give you good info to help w/ the decision.

Brain,

There are a couple of stoves that will act like a furnace for you. The Maxx or Maxx M from Enviro has a plenium kit that you can duct heat from the stove and send upstairs(stove in basement). Also the Drolet Eco65/Enerzone's Euromax also has a duct kit available.

http://enerzone-intl.com/forcedownload.aspx?strFile=/images/booklet/en/41.pdf

These units should get heat in both area's similar to a pellet furnace. But I would also look at some pellet furnaces as well The St Croix revolution isn't all that much more than a stove. The Endurance 50F is also frugal minded. Seein your house is already ducted for a hot air system, Adding the pellet furnace should be much less than a scratch install. Furnace, Vent and a auto/manual diverter should be all tha's needed. Before you dive into multiple stoves to heat both area's. I would at least take a gander(doesn't cost nothing to look and price them) at these units. Might be a bit more now, But should be less in the long run, Not to mention cleaning and feeding multiple units ddown the road.

These units were not available when I bought my stove(in basement- heat ducted to living area) And I am heating upper half of 1900+ sqft(my living area) to a cozy 72ºF with no issues. Basement warmed only by the return air and stove's radiant heat. So it is doable with the right unit!

Keep us posted! ;)

Sorry if I missed it, but what is your location? Anywhere near Ohio?

I know of a store who is selling off there Fahrenheit Endurance 50F pellet furnaces. One brand new under $3,000 and a floor model for $2,000. Be a decent deal for someone.

As for the Englander. Check my Sig.. I like'em :) Wood and Pellet! My Father owns one also (25-PDV) and I have a 16 yr old model currently not hooked up.

As imacman said, the EP series is nice if burning pellets only. Plus it has a different heat exchange system than the CPM. In my opinion, it may be a little better.

Look forward to your choice and future install pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.