Need some chain saw expertise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
I want to upgrade from my trusty older saws. I have an old Stihl 015 and a Husky 51 (with a 20"bar). Both still run well and get the job done. I also have a Stihl 020 that i believe the carb is shot on. It goes out of adjustment quickly and then fuel pours out of the muffler. I cut probably 4 full cord a year. Usually nothing bigger than 20". Anyway I'm looking at good used saw now. A 2009 Dolmar PS 5100s or a 2019 Stihl ms 251 c-be. Both saws have been taken care of...the Stihl has seen very little use!
Opinions please!!!

I would go with stihl. I have an 025 which is my go-to saw
for my firewood. Light fairly fast and good on fule. I have
faster bigger saws for big work and when I need one but 025 is the one I like
and it has never let me down

Forgot to say the stihl is 300. Dolmar 275

Dolmars are solid built saws. I think but am not 100% that the bar/chain from your Husky may work on that Dolmar.
If your Husky & Dolly will interchange I would personally go that route. You already have 2 smaller homeowner saws the Dolly would give you two saws that will pull the 20” bar. That way you have a back up saw for each size. The 251 is lighter, smaller cc & less torque than the Dolmar. That my opinion anyway. Unless of coarse you just buy them both...

I have a Dolmar 5105 that I really enjoy running, it has a bit more grunt than my Stihl 261 but it is a bit heavier also.

Reactions: johneh
I have Dolmar's and Stihl's, I'd go with the Stihl. 10 years newer, better balanced. Both good saws, but Stihl is a notch above.

Reactions: baseroom
I'd take the Dolmar over the 251 Stihl. It's just a lot more saw, and it makes a superb firewood saw that is honestly capable of pulling 20" bars. I also uses the same bars/chains as your Husqvarna (both k095 bar mount).

I've owned a few 5100s over the years and have found them to be superb and trouble-free. I have no experience with the 251 series of Stihl saws.