Need some help on whip connection for gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
Hello all - This is a post asking for some guidance as even if I use a licensed professional I need to know which way to go.

I am getting a gas fireplace installed in my house. The fireplace company will only do the framing, venting, fireplace installation and hooking up to gas and electric. I already have a gas line run. In the picture below I have shown the layout of the fireplace size. That whole area will be framed. They are asking me to use the current outlet and give them a 2 feet whip from a 110v to hardwire the fireplace.

When I talked to the township they said I cannot just splice a whip in an area that will be concealed. Instead I need to relocate the outlet and then run a whip.

When I talk to electricians I am not sure what they need to do as some of them said you could directly add a whip and some said you need to relocate but then need to go down into the basement or some other rout to get a whip from that outlet. My basement is finished with sheetrock. So I don't prefer any damage.

I searched for whips on YouTube but not able to find any videos.

Can someone guide me on what is really needed here? As I said I can use an electrician but need to know what to ask. The price is all over the place.

The pages 44-45 of the manual below show the electrical connections.

IMG_20210609_120414.jpg

The outlet/junction box can't be concealed. It's code. Can you get to the outlet from the other side of the wall? It would then be possible to relocate Junction box to the other side and use it to feed romex into the fireplace per the diagram. Is the outlet controlled by a switch?

The other side is the exterior wall of the house. Are you asking for it to be turned around and put an outlet on the outside of the house? Outlet is controlled by a switch.

Last edited:
The other side is the exterior wall of the house. Are you asking for it to be turned around and put an outlet on the outside of the house?
No, but a junction box is possible. The receptacle is going to be eliminated. The existing junction box has at least 1 maybe two or 3 wires coming into it. Since the new fireplace will cover the area where the junction box is, drywall can be removed. The wires coming into the existing junction box may have enough excess in the wall to turn it around and mount a weather proof junction box on the outside.
If that doesn't work, you are cutting and patching drywall.
It would be good to know what other receptacles are on the same circuit.

Thanks. The other outlets in the room are on the same circuit. When i turn around the existing outlet to put a junction box on the outside am I still not cutting through siding to do that? The drywall will be behind the framed fireplace. So patching it is not a big deal even if I open up.

Thanks. The other outlets in the room are on the same circuit. When i turn around the existing outlet to put a junction box on the outside am I still not cutting through siding to do that? The drywall will be behind the framed fireplace. So patching it is not a big deal even if I open up.
This could be mounted on the siding with a conduit going thru to the wall cavity.
It's not an ideal solution.
Another option is to put an access panel in the wall beside the fireplace to provide access to the junction box.

Thank you. I want to minimize damage to sheetrock if possible. Is there an option to relocate the outlet to front of the fireplace and run a whip from there to the back of the fireplace? In your response above you indicated junction box approach as not preferred

Thank you. I want to minimize damage to sheetrock if possible. Is there an option to relocate the outlet to front of the fireplace and run a whip from there to the back of the fireplace? In your response above you indicated junction box approach as not preferred
Only if the existing junction box is accessible.
If you look at page 12 of the manual, bottom right corner, there are new walls beside the fireplace. An access panel on the new wall would make the receptacle accessible.