Need some major advice on what to do to prepare for a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randallflagg

Jan 1, 2017
NH
So I thought I bought a house with a fireplace, turns out they bricked in a franklin stove. Now it's removed and I am left with a very awkward setup. I don't really know what to do next here. I have an exterior chimney and would feel fine running my own liner but what to do where the stove pipe runs to and through the wall has me baffled. I will probably be installing the pellet stove in the summer/fall this year, but want to get ready. If I have to lose a little space and build another wall in front of this, that's no big deal.

Here are some pictures of what I am left dealing with.

32205053613_4bbc6d185d_h.jpg
32979131096_11e4314990_h.jpg
32894504401_8cbd9d25a9_h.jpg
32979129786_6ea9f1d0a9_h.jpg

Last edited:
I would think you could work with that using a liner down the chimney. Of course sheet rock the wall in, if that's what you like. And if the pad is fireproof, you can use any number of facing materials to clean that up, from ceramic tiles, to fascia bricks or decorative cement surface, slate, what ever.

What are we looking at in that last photo ?

So I thought I bought a house with a fireplace, turns out they bricked in a franklin stove. Now it's removed and I am left with a very awkward setup. I don't really know what to do next here. I have an exterior chimney and would feel fine running my own liner but what to do where the stove pipe runs to and through the wall has me baffled. I will probably be installing the pellet stove in the summer/fall this year, but want to get ready. If I have to lose a little space and build another wall in front of this, that's no big deal.

Here are some pictures of what I am left dealing with.

View attachment 194988
View attachment 194989
View attachment 194990
View attachment 194991
Looks like a clay lined brick chimney so you could just get a pellet stove and set it on the hearth pad you have or make a different one to your size. I like a hearth pad that is large enough so if you open the door it will catch and ashes or soot . I also like it wide enough so you can stand on the hearth to dump pellets into the stove. There is adapters available to fit from 3 inch pellet pipe to most larger chimney pipe or you can install a metal liner. Some companies suggest you can run your 3 inch pellet pipe into the clay lined chimney with no problem. Harman suggests that in their manual. I have done that for over ten years with no problems but you will hear of some companies that need a liner.

What are we looking at in that last photo ?

It's a close up of the photo before with the rigid foam block removed. You can see the chimney clean-out.

I pulled the pipe out and as I suspected it was rusted to hell and full of holes.

The floor is bare concrete for now, no flooring installed yet.

I ran 4" stainless steel liner down, actually from the bottom up via my fireplace, 23ft. Harman called for max EVL at around 17ft for 3" liner. A standard install around these parts into an existing chimney is to use a metal liner. We used 4" flex liner. Hit some ridges and bumps on the way up that was sort of holding up progress here and there but we got it in after some twisting and turning of the roll of liner.

But it just depends on the stove install instructions and local codes.

So the chimney is clay lined block. What I am thinking is to remove the brick (it's about 2 courses) and clay that protrudes into the house, and install a thimble?

Would something like that do the trick? Do thimbles work that way? Mate to a chimney or chimney and liner?

Exterior shot from when I was re-sheathing/siding the house.
31867798484_98c13d6955_o.jpg

There is adapters available to fit from 3 inch pellet pipe to most larger chimney pipe or you can install a metal liner. Some companies suggest you can run your 3 inch pellet pipe into the clay lined chimney with no problem. Harman suggests that in their manual. I have done that for over ten years with no problems but you will hear of some companies that need a liner.

The only thing I have heard is that some home owners insurance will only cover you if you have a liner installed, but that may not be accurate.

That shot gives another perspective. Me personally, I guess it would depend how well the brick is mortared to the block, if it has support tabs etc.it might do a number on the block getting them off there. If not, it might go fairly easy. Worst case scenario, when you sheet rock inside, you could encase the brick work with sheet rock. You would have a square protrusion that you could plaster to have a smooth look or you could put mouldings on and make the pipe central in the process. Basically right now that brick is your insulating thimble. If you take it out then you need another method obviously.

Reactions: riverhead67
Hmm, I could use strapping on the wall and make it flush, I would just have to trim the fire clay.

But if Installed a liner that was smaller than the opening in the center of the fire clay, how would I seal it?

Hmm, I could use strapping on the wall and make it flush, I would just have to trim the fire clay.

But if Installed a liner that was smaller than the opening in the center of the fire clay, how would I seal it?
I'm going to let some folks answer who have done a similar install to yours, none of mine have been like that. I don't want to lead you down a false route. If you get no replies ( unlikely), you could visit a fireplace shop, stove shop or call someone like Woodland Direct who sell the materials needed. There are various pipes, thimble pieces etc.. You end up with a round adapter going into the wall and a collar ring around that ( trim ring) but i have no clue at the moment which ones LOL !

Interesting, I looked a bit closer today an noticed that this section with the arrow is the block chimney section.

32197093844_6990521869_b.jpg

I think this weekend I will start attacking this brick to see how easy it is going to come out, so that I don't have to strap and re-sheetrock the entire wall.

Interesting, I looked a bit closer today an noticed that this section with the arrow is the block chimney section.

View attachment 195094

I think this weekend I will start attacking this brick to see how easy it is going to come out, so that I don't have to strap and re-sheetrock the entire wall.
Let us know how it goes.

Came down pretty easy. Was a bit scary knowing that the only thing holding this section up was spray foam while I was working on it but I managed to take it down without dropping it on my foot.

32730938940_05d85195ed_h.jpg
32957118112_c866e1f357_h.jpg

Looks like it got a little warm all the way down to the 2x4s.
33071772266_d74e58b081_h.jpg
32730939900_7a96e5c011_h.jpg

Now to figure out the transition into the house...

Reactions: vinny11950
Wow, looks like somebody had a close call there LOL ! Well, your install should be better. Congrats on getting it apart.

Ok, so here's my thought on the pass through the wall into the chimney situation.

I plan on installing a thimble that I can silicone to the chimney and build the wall out to the thimble to make up the space in between. I have it sealed up with about 24 screws and it's cold right now so I don't have the exact measurement, but it's not more than 3" and probably closer to 2".

Little diagram of what I mean.

33473632322_16386af030_o.png