Negative pressure smoke issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
torch doesn't work as good....Try preheating the chimney with a space heater or heat gun. 10-15 min. then start with kindlin only and not wood logs ...then use the logs after its going good. if that doesn't work at least you will know its the house or the chimney and not operator issue. clean out ash before heater or point heat gun up. Also use a fire starter that helps too...
The problem with the isolate column of air in modern insulated steel venting is that it doesn't retain any heat like a masonry chimney would after hours or days of burning, so every time the stove cools off there is a danger that this could happen. I guess I was very fortunate it didn't happen before in the few times that I used the insert.