Negative temps- furnace blower on 24/7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
With these negative temps and heating an old farm house, furnace blower is on constantly. Forced air application. I hear it is actually better to have motor run constant than for it to kick on and off.

Forced air is the most comfortable when you run it on the slowest speed and the lowest register temps that still maintain the thermostat set point on the coldest day of the year. If you need more btus to meet the thermostat then you can increase your boiler high temp, increase gpm or speed up fan.

Forced air is the most comfortable when you run it on the slowest speed and the lowest register temps that still maintain the thermostat set point on the coldest day of the year. If you need more btus to meet the thermostat then you can increase your boiler high temp, increase gpm or speed up fan.

Do you know how to increase fan speed? I was looking at youtube videos, I'll take some pictures of the furnace/board when I get home.

Your motor should have multiple speed taps. Your LP furnace should also have a data tag which tells you the acceptable range for heat rise (difference between cold air return temp and supply). You can slow you blower down as long as you stay within the range listed on the data tag.