new and need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovinthislife

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
southern Ohio
we have an electric range and it's been smelling like a burned mouse in it when we use the oven. Husband pulled it out and nothing there. He cleaned the oven and last night it smelled again. so, he opened up the top of the stove. There was a burned spot in the middle of the insulation and it was filled with d-con. The mice had made a nest of the poison. He tore out the damaged insulation. He thinks it's okay to use the stove and oven. I'm afraid it could cause a fire. What's your opinion on this? I don't want to start a fire but I'd like to use my oven. Especially since Thanksgiving is coming and I'm cooking or supposed too. Thanks in advance. gail

I would just lay down some more insulation. They I would fire it up a couple of times before Thanksgiving to get rid of the smell as to not offend guests.

Now why is the refrain from "Home, Home IN the Range" running through my head... :lol:

It may be rock wool as opposed to fiberglass, especially if it's one of the heat based self-cleaning models.

I would be concerned about using the range long term, as one doesn't know if the mice may have nibbled on the electrical wiring insulation as well as making a home in the fiberglass. Mice, and rodents in general do have a known fondness for chewing on electrical stuff, and this can cause shorts, etc. Not to mention any corrosion or other damage caused by the mouse "leakage"...

That said, while I wouldn't want to leave the stove unattended while operating, it would seem like you could put a temporary patch of regular fiberglass in the hole in order to get through the Turkey-day rush (or learn how to do a deep-fried turkey for a really tasty TG bird... ) and replace the range soon, but at your convenience.

I would try to find a more effective way to get rid of the mice before replacing the range in order to avoid a repeat occurrence. Perhaps hiring a resident "Rodent Control Engineer" (aka "cat")?

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.