New and old solar tech development

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Researchers at Georgia Tech have been working on making an old, but inefficient solar fullerene technology more efficient. Recently they hit a home run, improving conversion efficiency from a lowly 1% to over 18%! This could be another step toward lighter, more flexible and less expensive panels.

Here is technology for converting plastic waste to Diesel.

One thing that is not mentioned is cost per gallon. The closest landfill to that plant has cheap tipping rates of around $44 a ton for members of the solid waste district, the nearest commercial landfill is somewhere around $80 per ton. If its treated as a waste minimization project its probably on sound footing. I am not so certain if they treat is as a competitor to diesel compared to pulling it out of an oil well In some of the other articles they talk about it displacing oil used on ships which is typically far nastier stuff than regular diesel.

BTW, if you look around on the web there are videos on how to do it at home. Its not that tough.

Here is technology for converting plastic waste to Diesel.

One thing that is not mentioned is cost per gallon. The closest landfill to that plant has cheap tipping rates of around $44 a ton for members of the solid waste district, the nearest commercial landfill is somewhere around $80 per ton. If its treated as a waste minimization project its probably on sound footing. I am not so certain if they treat is as a competitor to diesel compared to pulling it out of an oil well In some of the other articles they talk about it displacing oil used on ships which is typically far nastier stuff than regular diesel.

BTW, if you look around on the web there are videos on how to do it at home. Its not that tough.
I have read about doing this elsewhere too. Not a new tech. It is used in Japan for example. One can see why they would be talking about this in the farm belt. Ag waste is a serious issue and it can fill up a landfill quickly. Some farms use a huge amount of plastic films. Also, their equipment is mostly if not all diesel. But I am surprised to see it introduced in NH.

This company details the process nicely

Trying to build anything in VT Is a nightmare. There is regulation called Act 250 that can take years to go through. NH is far more business friendly and is not that far away from VT. VT does have a big plastic ag waste issue and much of the trash is hauled up to a large expensive landfill near the Canadian border in Coventry VT. Groveton NH on the other hand is an old papermill town that lost two papermills in a very short period of time. The equipment is gone but the buildings and infrastructure remain including a permitted water system and wastewater treatment plan and is run like business incubator. its not far from the Canadian border and some Canadians prefer to do business on the US side of the border as the tax burden is lower. There is also a plant being built that I posted awhile back that claims to have a breakthrough in stripping hydrogen out of the water. They are building a plant and claim they can produce hydrogen from water, run it through a recip engine and generate power for the local businesses at the site for half the cost of utility power. The world will beat a path to their door if they pull it off.

Reactions: sloeffle