New Burner in a New Yurt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mama23

Jan 7, 2015
Leavenworth, WA
Hi all,

I've been hopping all around this forum trying to soak all the info in So much good stuff here.

My situation is this. We have recently purchased and will be erecting a 24' yurt, off grid with a wood stove for heat. I believe it will be around 450 sq foot w/tall walls, so lots of space for the heat to rise and no electricity to fan it back down. Because this is a somewhat budget operation, I can't spend thousands on the stove alone.

I like the look of enameled cast iron, but realize they are more expensive.

my research so far has led me to
Jotul Black Bear - I found one that is used, but only 1 year old for roughly 1K - seems like a pretty good price.
Englander v17 - I like the huge window to watch the fire, but a little less excited by the utilitarian look.
Alderlea t4 - I really like the large viewing window and the cooktop. - the two things I like about the above stoves, but combined into one. unfortunately I believe the cost on this one is much higher.

anyway - I know there are a lot of variables and people like what they like, but I'd love input from anyone who might have these stoves and/or are using a wood stove in this application.

thanks in advance for any & all advice. be gentle, I'm a newbie :)

I didn't look at it but there was a yurt thread on here a couple days ago, I think. Begreen is the resident yurt expert, set his buddy up with a stove in one...

Reactions: mama23
As there's no power, I'd go for something I could cook on...

Reactions: mama23
Status
Not open for further replies.