New burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jcorcoran01

Oct 3, 2019
MT
Hello all I am very new to the wood stove world. I have never personally had one just used one at my parents on holidays and occasionally at a family cabin but never in my own home as a major heat source. Anyway I am looking to offset some of my propane usage in my home. The main floor is 1200 square ft with a 700 square ft space up stairs similar to bonus space it has knee walls.

I have a few questions if you dont mind helping me out.

First I have come across a Country Stoves ST210 for $500 which seems like a pretty good deal I think. Does anyone have experience or advise with this stove? Is it up to the task?

I have read through the manual for this stove and am not sure I understand the floor protection. It just says it needs non combustible material under and out to 16 inches in front of the door but does not mention anything about an r value. Does this mean it just needs ember protection? Suggestions on material to build with or where to buy a cheap prebuilt?

My house has a 9/12 pitch and the stove will be located in a corner in the living room which is along one exterior side of house. This will mean a tall stack outside. Has anyone had issues with having 10 feet or so of chimney outside the house causing too much or not enough draft?

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Welcome. Yes, ember protection is all the hearth needs. The Country ST210 is a good medium sized workhorse. That is a good price if the stove has been well cared for. Check it over and make sure the door gasket is in good shape and sealing well. 10ft of chimney is short for a modern stove. They typically like about 15-16ft of flue system from stove top to chimney cap.. However, the Country Performer is a bit more flexible and should work ok with a shorter system. The manual says 12' is acceptable, but each 90º turn in the flue path robs a couple of those feet.

Thanks for the reply.

For the chimney I was meaning that I will have something like 9.5 ft out exposed chimney above the roof, there will still be 4-5 in side the attic area which is also cold but not exposed to the elements and then the 4 or so feet of stovepipe connecting the stove to the ceile support box. I plan to go straight up through ceiling then attic then out roof. I am worried that the 9.5 ft above roof is more than most end up having and I am not sure what the implications of this will be.

The floor that I will be installing on is snap lock vinyl flooring. Any suggestions on what to use for ember protection? Does there fact that it will be installed somewhere with that flooring change anything?

Thanks again

The chimney will need proper bracing at 5' above where it exits the roof. The hearth can be a prefab type 1 hearth pad or homemade out of non-combustible material(s) of 3/8" thickness or greater. 1/2" cement board with a tile or sheet metal top is a common option.

My place is a story and a half with the same setup you are planning on. I went to double wall telescoping stove pipe to help maintain exhaust temps as much of the system is located in cold space. Like yours will be. Works fine. I would recommend considering purchase of a Sooteater cleaning kit to be able to clean the chimney from the bottom up. Trying to access the cap at the height you plan to install is zero fun on a regular basis! Mostly if you plan on a mid winter cleaning. A few thoughts.