New Carbon monoxide laws in MA required in every dwelling in MA using fosil fuels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

On Friday, November 4, 2005, Governor Romney signed S. 2152 “Nicole’s Bill” into law.

The law requires that every dwelling, building or structure including those owned by the Commonwealth, occupied in whole or in part for residential purposes and that (1) contain fossil fuel burning equipment or (2) incorporate closed parking within its structure, be equipped by the owner with approved carbon monoxide alarms in conformance with the requirements of the Board of Fire Prevention Regulations (BFPR).

http://www.mass.gov/dfs/osfm/pubed/firesafetytopics/carbon_monoxide_safety.htm

Not In Ma.? Many states are in the adopting process or have already pass simmilar laws.
It is my guess, that implementation and inspections will occure when single familly homes transfere ownership
Local towns will probably institute policy and schedule inspections for comercial and rental properties to follow suit.
One note home heated by electricity may be exempt

Why would homes with electric heat be exempt if one of the reasons requiring it is "homes with enclosed parking". I would assume car fumes (carbon monoxide) are the same whether you have electric heat or not??

I coppied the first paragraph or so but you raise a valid point. Enclosed parking, I think the feeling is, garges under or connected to living spaces would require Co detectors. Enclosed, not attached may not. I did include the link that if clicked and the follow up links also clicked, a better explanation might be found. Since Aug., the CO laws have been admended 4 times And I suspect there will be more admendments

Status
Not open for further replies.