New chimney install issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Hello everyone. I began to install my new stove chimney pipe and ran into a few hiccups.

Details. This is a single story house, flat 9’ ceilings, 6/12 pitched metal roof. I’ve already cut the hole all the way thru. I framed out and installed the attic insulation shield. This is a supervent system as I had a huge Menards store credit and bought all I thought I needed. It has the rubber boot outer shield which I’m not a fan of, but can’t return it so I’m kinda stuck with the system I have.

What has me perplexed are two things.

1) How the pipe is supported as the double wall pipe just slides thru the attic insulation shield. Due to truss location and clearance requirements for the stove to wall, I will be forced to use an offset for the interior pipe to join the stove with the pipe on the ceiling.

2) As the pipe passes thru the attic and out, what secures and levels the pipe? I called supervent customer service and the gentleman that was helping interrupted almost every time I tried to speak, so I don’t suspect he knew what I actually trying to do. Maybe he did and I’m the idiot, but I came away with no clear solution Or understanding. I had hoped to use the winged adjustable roof support to secure and level the pipe, but the customer service guy at supervent said that won’t work. He wouldn’t let me speak so I couldn’t even ask why it wouldn’t.

sadly, I’m married to this system and I’m halfway there, just need some assistance to get it finished out. If you have any advice or if I can post up some pics to help explain better what I’m dealing with please let me know.
thanks in advance for your assistance.

Reactions: tlhfirelion

man, I must be getting old as I was having a senior moment. Lol. The way the straps were faced down on the ceiling support I bought (same as the one you linked) I didn’t realize they fold up and are secured to the box I framed out for the attic insulation shield. Thanks for that, you were VERY helpful!

Welcome...and I get it, I increasingly have my share of CRS, and all the other accompanying memory/mental failures too... ;lol

Last edited:
I have this same kit but it came with no instructions. I’d you use a roof guy to level and stabilize the exterior pipe or secure it some other way in the attic before exiting the boot/flashing?
If it sticks out very far, yes...I didn't have to deal with that as their pipe is in a chase

If it sticks out very far, yes...I didn't have to deal with that as their pipe is in a chase
My last system was a thru the wall in an exterior chase and it was pretty easy to install. This site was helpful back then as well. This current install seems to be challenging my cerebral cortex Somethin awful.

You didn't get the manual with any of the parts? If you scroll down on any of these parts on Menards site they have links to the instructions and specs...
I got nothing but a box of parts, two of which were dented and I had to return. Menards prices are good but they’re frustrating in other areas like missing manuals, special orders, etc. their 11% rebates paid for my electrical and plumbing supplies as well as this chimney pipe set up for the house I’m building, so there is that.

So in order to avoid cutting any trusses and what not, my ceiling connection is 3” off of plumb with the actual stove connection below. If I move the stove over to be a straight shot up to connect, I’ll be closer to the drywall than the stove manufacturer says my clearance should be. Do they make an interior single wall offset for that small a difference?

thank you.

(that rubber boot flashing for metal roofs doesn’t Instill confidence. I used a lot of sealant and screws to form that to my metal roof and it still looks like it’s begging for a leak. So far, this kit from supervent has been a frustrating experience. I’ve only installed two systems and helped with one. The last two were metal fab which was really easy and intuitive co pared to this. )

So in order to avoid cutting any trusses and what not, my ceiling connection is 3” off of plumb with the actual stove connection below. If I move the stove over to be a straight shot up to connect, I’ll be closer to the drywall than the stove manufacturer says my clearance should be. Do they make an interior single wall offset for that small a difference?

thank you.

(that rubber boot flashing for metal roofs doesn’t Instill confidence. I used a lot of sealant and screws to form that to my metal roof and it still looks like it’s begging for a leak. So far, this kit from supervent has been a frustrating experience. I’ve only installed two systems and helped with one. The last two were metal fab which was really easy and intuitive co pared to this. )

I think I answered my own question. In the manual it lists the clearances without side shields. I have side shields so I am safe to move it over that’ll put my clearance over the with side shields and under the without.