New dangerous tick - another gift from Asia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Right on the heels (at least locally) of EAB and Spotted Lantern Fly, we have another thing to peck away at our quality of life.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/doyl...ium=email&utm_term=weather&utm_campaign=alert

When the breeding and gathering habits of these new buggers inevitably collide with one of the many tick-borne diseases, we’re in for a real treat. See this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-details-on-mystery-virus-that-killed-kansas-man/

I have some personal experience with this recently, an old family friend recently almost died after being hospitalized in Virginia, with a tick-borne disease.

My father wife and daughter have all gone through treatment for lyme disease in the past 3 months. Nice to know we have an import to worry about now as well

I’m showing some symptoms of Lyme over the last ten days, myself. I already have a routine physical scheduled for later this month, so that test will be added to the visit.

We just completed Lyme disease treatment on one of our dogs, who had it and was in quite bad shape, with 70% - 80% liver failure. We initially thought her declining health was simply old age, as she’s 15 years old already, but she bounced right back to life after treatment.

Nile virus is starting to show up in Calif. valleys too. As northern temps warm up, bad bugs can survive further north.

Another hazard for wood cutters to deal with. IV read these things can go a year between feedings.i guess it would be possible to to bring them home on your clothes and they hide in the carpet and bite you 6 months later.