New Encore installed today. I can see cat burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hbob

Jan 20, 2024
Seattle
I installed my new Encore today. I am not new to the Encore as I also took out a 30+ year old Encore that was pretty much ready for a rebuild and a local sale on the Vermont Casting Stoves competed pretty well with the cost and hassle of a rebuild. The new encore has the catalyst chamber access from the inside of the stove...quite convenient. The old cat required removing quite a bit on the back of the stove. First burn going quite well and to my surprise I an see the cat burning through the tiny slit at the top of the back wall. I have not heard anyone mention this on the forum. I am just using the included basic cat thermometer and it is working well. I am not inclined to add a digital thermometer as I like the clean look of the stove as is with no wires running to the stove. I went with the front glass with out the extra doo dads this time as I like seeing more of the fire. And I kept the old fireplace screen and the new stove burns well with the screen in place...plenty of draft and no smoke in the room. I like to use the fireplace screen when I light stove up in the morning and have my coffee. Then I shut the doors and load it up. Photos to come.

I have an old Encore and I can see the cat glow if I get it very hot, 0ver 1400 and rising.

I have an old Encore and I can see the cat glow if I get it very hot, 0ver 1400 and rising.
The probe on mine is staying right in the middle of the range. It is not a glow as much occasional flames seen behind the rear wall. It is running very nicely. Air all the way down and no black on the glass.

I have the same stove and will see flames inside the secondary chamber when it’s running damper down and the cat is functioning. In the right conditions you’ll even see some flames being pulled into the chamber at the bottom back of firebox. The secondary chamber is lined with ceramic material and fiberboard to help withstand those higher temps.

The air/smoke/particulates are pulled from the firebox up into the secondary chamber where it burns. The catalyst sits at the bottom of that chamber aiding that combustion and according to the manual allows for a tertiary burn. Your cat meter sits below the catalyst and reads the temps there before those gasses are pulled up into the flue behind the damper and out your chimney.

I personally view the cat as creating a more efficient and complete secondary burn. The third stage burning doesn’t register in my brain.

*edit* One thing that occurred to me based on your timing is that you’ve already started burning larger, hotter fires on a new stove. The manual calls for several smaller break in fires. I did not run damper down until I’d done a half dozen smaller fires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hbob
Congrats. Always good to see someone happy and excited with a new stove!

Pics please? :)

Reactions: Hbob
I have the same stove and will see flames inside the secondary chamber when it’s running damper down and the cat is functioning. In the right conditions you’ll even see some flames being pulled into the chamber at the bottom back of firebox. The secondary chamber is lined with ceramic material and fiberboard to help withstand those higher temps.

The air/smoke/particulates are pulled from the firebox up into the secondary chamber where it burns. The catalyst sits at the bottom of that chamber aiding that combustion and according to the manual allows for a tertiary burn. Your cat meter sits below the catalyst and reads the temps there before those gasses are pulled up into the flue behind the damper and out your chimney.

I personally view the cat as creating a more efficient and complete secondary burn. The third stage burning doesn’t register in my brain.

*edit* One thing that occurred to me based on your timing is that you’ve already started burning larger, hotter fires on a new stove. The manual calls for several smaller break in fires. I did not run damper down until I’d done a half dozen smaller fires.
I am coming up to temperature and down slowly. I don't hear any creaking of the parts. I have not filled more than 1/3 of the box. 2 splits added each time. Thank you for info on the probe location. I engage cat when the needle just starts to reach the engage area.

Reactions: skb31
Attached video link to burn...and standard cat thermometer.
IMG_6200.jpg