New Fiskars X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Just Got my brand new X27 delivered today. Went and split some ash. Sure beats swinging my heavy maul.

pesebune.jpg

Up until these things came out, the buddies that I'll split wood with each had different mauls we preferred. Two used a 6lb, another a rather blunt modern 8lb, I used a more sharp / narrow edged 8lb from my grandfather, another used a Monster maul of 10+lbs,,,,,,,, long story short, we came to using those tools after messing with many other axes (like the Chopper with little swing out arms, etc) over the years but one day I handed my fairly new fiskars super splitting axe (almost like today's x25) to a one of the guys who used the 6lb maul and he split 2 big locust rounds with it. When done, he handed it back without talking about it and I thought he felt he didn't like it.

About a week later he handed each of the guys mentioned, plus his father in law, the brand new x27 that had just hit the market on Amazon. While for years we each preferred different tools, to this day, you'll find the x27 in all of our vehicles when headed to the woods to split. Only time I've grabbed my old 8lb maul favorite is when I've been mad at the world and needed to burn off some extra steam by swinging that stud.

The x27 is a good tool.......I still prefer the feel of a well seated / finished wood handle in my hand, but I can't find a head to put on one that matches what I can and have done with the x27. I have one old 4+lb axe that isn't bad at splitting at all and simply feels like butter in the hands with a good handle I worked over for 1/2 a day to get just right, but at the end of the day, it still ranks 3rd behind the x27 and the 8lb maul.

pen

Reactions: Jon1270 and Ashful
I like how with the fiskars I dont have to swing it hard. I can swing it 2/3 strength and really watch my accuracy. It really splits ash, oak, maple like butter.

Reactions: TreePointer
While the Fiskars is a good axe, it is no replacement for a maul. Sometimes you have to bring out the big guns and get busy.

If using the x27 on big rounds, work on taking the edges off the log then working your way in. Like take the right 1/4 off, then left 1/4 off, and go from there; rather than trying to split it right down the middle.

I find for bigger pieces, trying to cut as though I'm making rough slabs or squares rather than pie wedge shaped wood, works best.

Reactions: Lakeside
Status
Not open for further replies.