Fiskars® Pro IsoCore™ Wood Splitting Maul (8lb, 36")

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Demoknot Rooster

Apr 6, 2023
Aroostook Maine

Fiskars® Pro IsoCore™ Wood Splitting Maul (8lb, 36")​

I have this Maul. I am concerned about eventually having to replace the handle. Is it possible to replace the handle with Hickory or Ash instead of the isocore fiberglass?

Fiskers 8lb Maul.jpg

Fiskars® Pro IsoCore™ Wood Splitting Maul (8lb, 36")​

I have this Maul. I am concerned about eventually having to replace the handle. Is it possible to replace the handle with Hickory or Ash instead of the isocore fiberglass?

View attachment 321949
It has a full lifetime warranty. Why would you ever need to replace the handle on it? I have one and have beat the crap out of it, no signs of needing to replace anything on it.

Reactions: Demoknot Rooster
I have one of those. I have slammed the living crap out of wedges getting them through some tough stuff and it never whimpers. It is honestly the best splitting tool I have ever used. I use my x27 on easy stuff because it is so much lighter but if I had to have just one…. That’s it.

what does "lifetime warranty" actually mean for a small item like a splitting maul? IME, "Lifetime Warranty" means the lifetime of the product, and not the lifetime of the individual who owns the product!

When that handle is broken, that will equal the lifetime of the product.

Here, I'll give another example: Darn Tough socks. They have a "lifetime warranty". That Darn Tough warranty is the lifetime of the garment, not the lifetime of the person wearing the garment. Get a hole in the heal and, hello! lifetime of sock has been reached. You might be able to return to factory for repairs, yet the shipping alone would buy a new product.

I prefer Specra-Flex guitar cables, they too have a "lifetime warranty"...when the cable stops functioning, that cable's lifetime has reached its end. I could repair the cable at my cost. Yet the cable does not have a warranty which extends to my dying day.

Some companies do provide great warranties, yet, for the most part it's a marketing ploy IME. I've only talked about small goods, here. Lifetime warranties on larger, more complicated items are a different story.

what does "lifetime warranty" actually mean for a small item like a splitting maul? IME, "Lifetime Warranty" means the lifetime of the product, and not the lifetime of the individual who owns the product!

When that handle is broken, that will equal the lifetime of the product.

Here, I'll give another example: Darn Tough socks. They have a "lifetime warranty". That Darn Tough warranty is the lifetime of the garment, not the lifetime of the person wearing the garment. Get a hole in the heal and, hello! lifetime of sock has been reached. You might be able to return to factory for repairs, yet the shipping alone would buy a new product.

I prefer Specra-Flex guitar cables, they too have a "lifetime warranty"...when the cable stops functioning, that cable's lifetime has reached its end. I could repair the cable at my cost. Yet the cable does not have a warranty which extends to my dying day.

Some companies do provide great warranties, yet, for the most part it's a marketing ploy IME. I've only talked about small goods, here. Lifetime warranties on larger, more complicated items are a different story.

exactly my point!
some companies are going to stand by their warranty and not hassle you about a claim, and some are going to be aholes about it and fight you tooth and nail. I don't see what your issue is, if you buy something with a lifetime warranty and it breaks under normal use, what's the big deal about asking for a replacement? If the company says no, then don't buy from them again.

Reactions: ctreitzell
you misunderstand my intention
I mean "in general", folks, ask yourself: what does a "lifetime warranty" mean

I don't mean to say "I demand to know"

I don't really care...I put zero faith in manufacturer warranties which is my problem I suppose...I always have since working at a Ford dealership as a teen...

I read your linked fiskars FAQs and they pretty much said the same as I did :)

you misunderstand my intention
I mean "in general", folks, ask yourself: what does a "lifetime warranty" mean

I don't mean to say "I demand to know"

I don't really care...I put zero faith in manufacturer warranties which is my problem I suppose...I always have since working at a Ford dealership as a teen...

I read your linked fiskars FAQs and they pretty much said the same as I did :)
My apologies! Totally misunderstood your point!

Reactions: ctreitzell
I had a pair of Fiskars loppers that broke during normal use. I went through their warranty process and they sent me a new pair, no questions asked.

I've never heard of anyone that broke a Fiskars maul or splitting axe (any tool for that matter) that they didn't replace, with no problems...and some that use them frequently, and hard, have received more than one replacement...again, never heard of anyone getting a hassle about it.

My apologies! Totally misunderstood your point!
phew, sorry, I suppose I didn't word my first post very well

let's all get choppin =-D

This post reminds me of the guy and his kid in front of me at the tool section register at Sears (back in the day). He had a couple of splitting mauls that looked like they hadn't been carried much past the parking lot with the handles splintered from the hammer side. One or both of them must have completely overshot the wedge on about the first or second blow with each of them. They gave him new ones, which I somehow doubt were going to work any better. Guy should have been buying handles, not having the rest of us contribute for his stupidity. Not saying that returning an old Fiskars is wrong, it just reminds me of this guy who had a lot of gall.

Reactions: Madscrambler