New Furnace Day: Drolet Heat Commander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Okay, I got the fresh air supply hooked up and the difference is dramatic. Before I had to leave the door open or the fire would never start and smoke would billow out of the air intake. After adding the supply I can close the HC door and the fire continues to grow. The fresh air intake has a lot of airflow so it is like putting a blower up to the air intake. Some smoke started to creep through my stove pipe so I sealed that up as well. I'm pretty sure this should resolve it.

My draft fluctuates between -0.03 and -0.07 when the fire is going after a while. Before I start it I have barely any draft. Granted the inside and outside temperature difference is only around 15-20F right now (It doesn't get colder until morning). AFAIK that will impact draft during ignition.
I felt I should clarify that my home is not new or air tight. It was built in 1978. Most of the threads I have seen about fresh air intake have been related to a house that is too tight, or has other appliances that are pulling to create a negative pressure. In my case I believe it is due to the leaks in the house that was causing a negative pressure in the basement.

In my case I believe it is due to the leaks in the house that was causing a negative pressure in the basement.
I'd buy that...

Reactions: sleewok and clancey
Kinda quiet around here this fall...everybody that put their new HC in last year must be toasty, warm, and overall happy with how they are working?

Kinda quiet around here this fall...everybody that put their new HC in last year must be toasty, warm, and overall happy with how they are working?
It’s been mild up here in the great white north it was 10 degrees today! Only been burning small loads so far. My HC has really only been connected for about a week now I want to wait until it’s a bit colder to give a real review of it but man oh man what a difference compared to my old stove.

We need some good reviews to convince some of us to take advantage of the tax credit.

Rumor has it you prefer one w/o a window though. ;lol ;)

I really think I would miss not having a view of the fire. If a vf100 showed up I would definitely try it out!

I've been burning mine for a few weeks now; I don't have my return air hooked up yet, hope to have it hooked up next week. Overall I'm happy with the HC, my biggest gripe is probably that when the thermostat is satisfied, the blower cycles a lot. The blower is really quiet, so the sound doesn't bother me. The computer raises the cut in/cut off temp when the thermostat is satisfied, but if there's a decent fire going the thing cycles a lot, sometimes every couple minutes. To me its not lessening the amount of heat being delivered, its giving a blast of hotter air every few minutes versus a steady supply of cooler air. It doesn't seem like the air controls are choking down the fire a lot, but I know they are trying to keep the burn clean too.
Got down to 22 overnight. I loaded it up half locust half ash at 9:30 last night, thermostat set on 70. I woke up with my kid about 1:30 a.m, there was still some big glowing chunks of locust and a bunch of coals. I threw two smaller pieces of locust in there. Went down at 5:30 am to a super thick bed of coals. Threw a few 2x4s in to try to burn them down some. House was 69.
The coal burn down on mine doesn't seem as good as some have made it sound on here, but there's a lot of variables there.

Oh and +1 on the glass door, I've been around wood stoves my whole life but this is my first with a window, I love it! Better than t.v.! Wish it was in my living room.

Reactions: trx250r87
So far so good on my end. Heating about 4200 sqft. Our temps have been getting down into the 20s (F). I have our thermostat set to 72F in the bedroom area. I have three 6" supplies heating about 1000 sqft on the bedroom side. The temps in the morning are about 72F. The other 2000 sqft of our upstairs is in the upper 60s! The wood burned has a huge impact on what you'll get out of this. I can burn 1+ year seasoned and I'll get decent heat out of it. My 2+ year hardwood gives me huge coals that burn for a LONG time.

My supply runs are far from optimal right now and I expect to see even more efficiency. I also have a liner that I am putting in -- that should help provide greater consistency in the burn since my draft fluctuates quite a bit right now (even with the barometric damper).

I still need to run two more supplies to the living area and cut some holes for returns. So far I am very satisfied. I'll be curious to see how it handles <20F temps for our home.

I usually need to reload every 3 to 4 hours. At night I'm seeing about 5 hours of burn before we start to lose temp.

My BIGGEST complaint so far is that it will continue to run the blower if the thermostat is calling for heat, but heat is NOT available... I see this at the end of a burn when the coals are low. If there is no heat available, why is the blower running!?

That does not seem right. My HC fan cycles once I am at the coaling stage if there is enough plenum temperature to kick the fan on, regardless of thermostat condition. This often happens for hours.

Eric

My BIGGEST complaint so far is that it will continue to run the blower if the thermostat is calling for heat, but heat is NOT available... I see this at the end of a burn when the coals are low. If there is no heat available, why is the blower running!?

my biggest gripe is probably that when the thermostat is satisfied, the blower cycles a lot. The blower is really quiet, so the sound doesn't bother me. The computer raises the cut in/cut off temp when the thermostat is satisfied, but if there's a decent fire going the thing cycles a lot, sometimes every couple minutes. To me its not lessening the amount of heat being delivered, its giving a blast of hotter air every few minutes versus a steady supply of cooler air. It doesn't seem like the air controls are choking down the fire a lot, but I know they are trying to keep the burn clean too.

You will learn to load for the heat load to minimize the effect of the thermostat. If it's going to be warmer and you don't need the heat, just don't load as much, or at all. The heat has to go somewhere, as it's not going to (or at least not supposed to) smolder the fire.

That does not seem right. My HC fan cycles once I am at the coaling stage if there is enough plenum temperature to kick the fan on, regardless of thermostat condition. This often happens for hours.

Eric
Let me see if I am understanding correctly... If the thermostat is calling for heat, and the status light isn't indicating there is enough heat (not blinking), your HC fan does NOT run?

I believe my fan will kick in if the light is OFF, thermostat condition does not matter (from what I recall)

Eric

Let me see if I am understanding correctly... If the thermostat is calling for heat, and the status light isn't indicating there is enough heat (not blinking), your HC fan does NOT run?

Reactions: sleewok
I loaded it up half locust half ash at 9:30 last night, thermostat set on 70. I woke up with my kid about 1:30 a.m, there was still some big glowing chunks of locust and a bunch of coals. I threw two smaller pieces of locust in there

I usually need to reload every 3 to 4 hours

Why such short burn times? Are these full loads all North-South or Log cabin style loadings? I see sleewok is heating a large area, but even so?

Last edited:
I agree about the short burn times. Look through the back and see if the grate air is closing completely when the furnace comes up to temperature. It was 23 this morning and I loaded the woodfurnace at 4:30 am. When I got home at 3:00 pm, I raked the coals forward, pressed the button and threw some wood in it. Currently it's 35 degrees out. I set the thermostat for 72 degrees when I left for work and it was 72 when I returned. Make sure the draft is set correctly and good dry wood is being used.

Why such short burn times? Are these full loads all North-South or Log cabin style loadings? I see sleewok is heating a large area, but even so?
This can happen when a heat load is more than what a thermostatically controlled unit can comfortably put out. It spends a lot of time with the air open to try to satisfy the call for heat by the thermostat. This leads to wood-be-gone. ;lol Not saying that is the issue here, but it could be.

• Haha
Reactions: sloeffle
I have three 6" supplies heating about 1000 sqft on the bedroom side.
I also have a liner that I am putting in -- that should help provide greater consistency in the burn since my draft fluctuates quite a bit right now (even with the barometric damper).
Fixing these 2 issues could make a huge difference in performance! IIRC (6) 6" ducts are the minimum allowed supply lines...and if you don't have proper draft, you have nothing...remember, the chimney is the engine the powers the firebox.

Last edited:
This can happen when a heat load is more than what a thermostatically controlled unit can comfortably put out. It spends a lot of time with the air open to try to satisfy the call for heat by the thermostat. This leads to wood-be-gone. ;lol Not saying that is the issue here, but it could be.

Do you suppose emissions ratings and efficiency ratings are determined with the furnace being called on for heat or at idle? Or maybe some arbitrary mixture?

Do you suppose emissions ratings and efficiency ratings are determined with the furnace being called on for heat or at idle? Or maybe some arbitrary mixture?

It depends on the category of the burn. For Cat 1.....there must be no call for heat and no draft blower. This is the cat where they test the unit for the absolute minimum burn that the user would use it for in real life. IE, no call for heat and a firebox full of wood. Hence why SBI's new ones seem to raise the low limit blower temp when there is no call for heat and a fire in the firebox. They have to keep the fire burning clean, but they also have to do something with the heat it produces, as they can't just snub the fire out.

Reactions: sleewok