New GM 60 installation - screwed up by installer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Just a note out of complete frustration here. After a six week wait from Wood Heat, a dealership near me, the installation team broke the new soapstone during installation. How frustrating is that! Owners know, but I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling on the follow up action. Will give them a short period of time and calling back. I believe they are checking for a replacement in their showroom.

The stones are shipped separate on the outside of the stove. Maybe it was damaged in shipping?
keep in mind it’s their busiest time of year and parts are harder than ever to get right now.

Quakertown store....no the installer snapped the stone. I saw it. They admit the issue but I just want my stove working. Waiting to here back from Mark the owner now.

Which stone? That’s a bummer. I can almost match it tho— my GM 40 came with two left sides! Thankfully I was able to modify the one and use it temporarily. Turned out I didn’t need to: Hearthstone was great and expedited the right part in a couple of days, across the border too. And this was in the busy season so I was impressed. Good luck

Both back stones are damaged. Dealership is saying Friday PM for a technician to come out and repair and continue the installation. Turns out the installer was a substitute ,as the regular guy called to sick today. Never saw a GM before.

Should I be getting a "backup" soapstone for this stove? Seems like something you may want on the shelve in the garage?
Are these that fragile? If so, where to buy them. I searched but since this is a newer stove, I didn't see many part listings.

Is it just a decorative panel attached to a steel stove?

Highbeam, they are lining the firebox inside. Functional.

Highbeam, they are lining the firebox inside. Functional.

That is a a sharp looking stove.

From the site, "The GM60 is lined with soapstone blocks to store the heat from the fire "

I owned a real soapstone hearthstone stove that was made of actual soapstone so this cracking seemed like cause for concern. I see now that these are just soapstone bricks used in place of regular firebricks inside the firebox. Regular firebricks are small and have lots of seams between each brick and it's normal for them to crack over time. A crack in the soapstone liner is probably to be expected, normal, and won't effect anything unless part of this soapstone actually falls out.

When the stove is new, demand uncracked stone liners. Over time, no big deal if they crack. The iron stove body is what holds the fire in.

Yes, the owner of the dealership already tried to tell me cracks are OK. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way when buying brand new and paying top dollar. We will see Friday when they come back. If there is a crack, I will not accept the instal. And to be quite honest with you, will most likely escalate my unhappiness with the installation. I see they are a member of the BBB. I don't think this will be necessary, but I will do what is needed. All I want is what I paid for. Do these stones get glued in? I did download a copy of the installation directions (the ones the installers did not have) and I see nothing on gluing in the blocks. Just curious.

Reactions: Highbeam
No the stones are not glued. There is some vermiculite around the bottom that kinda wedges for a nice snug fit. No wiggles or wobbles to aid in producing a crack. They are large and very thick like 1” so I don’t see them cracking but time will tell...

And I totally agree, I wouldn’t accept a new GM stove with any of the stone cracked.

I hope you see some satisfaction with your install... fingers are crossed for ya

Reactions: Highbeam
Here is what I was left with on the installation.

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 132
Yes Highbeam, the door gasket is pulled out. I have communicated with Wood Heat on what needs to be done tomorrow and expect the "technician" to complete this work with new stones. Nice way to leave the installation, I am still fuming and it has been days now.

Nigel459, the vermiculite is only used in the GM 40. The GM 60 just seems to sit inside the firebox. It is rather tricky to do the instal without an extra pair of hands or support. I have cut a few pieces of wood to prop up the rear stones until the side stones go in which hold the rear in place. I called Hearthstone as well, they recommended placing the side stones in first, then the rear. I am waiting for the installer to show this afternoon. Depending on how I feel, I may just do this myself. I have a feeling he may not have seen one of these GM60's yet himself.
Yes Highbeam, the door gasket is pulled out. I have communicated with Wood Heat on what needs to be done tomorrow and expect the "technician" to complete this work with new stones. Nice way to leave the installation, I am still fuming and it has been days now.

Reactions: Nigel459
have a feeling he may not have seen one of these GM60's yet himself.
He Likely hasn’t seen one. You seem really quick to come down on the retailer. It’s a new stove, the busiest part of the year, and all during an unprecedented time. Things are hard right now and products are hard to get. Don’t be so quick to throw your dealer under the bus is all I’m sayin.

I probably should have not vented in this forum, you are correct. There is a lengthier list of other issues as well around this entire experience I did not brig up. Your point well taken though. Thanks.