New Grandma Bear Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Famer D

Dec 14, 2022
Wa State
Hello, new Grandma fisher owner here so first post.
I am adding this stove to my shop and I have a question. Flue opening in stove is 7 1/2 in dia, so do I need a adapter or collar to fit to a 8in chimney pipe? Or did fisher make this part?
#2 I have read about heat baffles being added, do I need one?

Stove checks out as a 1980 model.

Thanks.

Hello, new Grandma fisher owner here so first post.
I am adding this stove to my shop and I have a question. Flue opening in stove is 7 1/2 in dia, so do I need a adapter or collar to fit to a 8in chimney pipe? Or did fisher make this part?
#2 I have read about heat baffles being added, do I need one?

Stove checks out as a 1980 model.

Thanks.
You can crimp the pipe by hand down smaller to fit, or use a stove adapter, called double skirted adapter by Dura-Vent.

Adding a baffle is highly recommended. The 1980 UL Listed models were the first to have the patented Smoke Shelf Baffle. If you have the Listed version, it will have a shield on back with tag, and will not have angle iron corners. They will be bent round on the front. There should be angle iron welded on an angle on each side to set the baffle plate on.

Thanks for the reply. I have found the adapter. Mine has no baffle, if I understand correctly, I need a steel plate siting flush with the firebox, bottom of the flue opening so a steel plate sitting on a lip with 1/2in to 1 in space around the outside to allow smoke etc to go up?

The square inch area opening above baffle cannot be any smaller than the square inch area of chimney flue diameter. It will also depend on the type of chimney, but start with the minimum opening, you can always lower baffle to increase the opening if setting on side bricks as baffle supports.