new guy with an MB 55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sardo_67

Sep 19, 2017
mid CT
been lurking here and googling for a few weeks now and figured it was time to make an account a post a few things.

last weekend I picked up a used HS Tarm MB55 solo boiler for $500 from a local guy off FB. 1979 production and still looks great, he threw in 2 circulators and a few other temp controls, only thing missing is the top tin cover and lower door adjuster arm/chain combo but had the clamp piece.

since my house only has 1 flue and the current oil boiler is hooked into it I will be installing my Tarm in the garage then running the lines thru the breezeway into the basement where i'll plumb it into my heating system.

I've never done this myself but my buddy is an experienced plumber so we're looking for any pointers on installing it or tricks for running/cleaning/maintain the boiler. I had wood stoves all my life growing up in CT so I'm familiar with burning wood and cleaning the typical wood stove but never a boiler this large.

the house I just bought in june, ripped a wall out then redid the bath and kitchen, while doing that I realized the house has no insulation in the 2x4 outer walls except the 18' part where I redid the sheetrock. it has the 3/4 press board stuff then 3/8 Styrofoam and vinyl siding with new retro fit windows so at least the windows are better. I removed about 14ft of baseboard heating in the kitchen and then went with under floor radiant heating installed from the basement, 380-400ft of 1/2 pex under the kitchen and most of the living room to make up for it. house is 1450sq feet, any reason this boiler won't be able to keep up?

open

since photobucket went ultra Dbag and want's $400 a year to host photos here is a link to my google drive account.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8zl4dSXt7_zLU1vaF9MU3dRd1E

Last edited:
does anyone have measurements on the temp control arm? it looks like a 1/4 round piece of metal with a bend in it that attaches up top to the temp control and has a chain that goes down to the fire door dampener.