New guy with questions on fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Steve

Oct 25, 2015
Simsbury Ct
Greetings to you all. I have lurked on this site for 4 months and I am going to pull the trigger on a new insert within the next few months. I have really picked up a lot of info just browsing here but would really appreciate some specific input. Background: Retired in Jan after 25 years in AF. Moved to Simsbury Ct for my wife who is originally from Western Mass wanted to move closer to home after following me around for years. I took a local job and very happy here (although cost of living is ridiculous here!) OK enough of that, so here is my setup:

- 2200 sqft house 2 story with basement. House is in good shape insulation wise but original drafty windows and a slider door definitely need replacing. Fireplace dimensions 28 in hi by 35 in wide and 22 inch depth.
- fireplace located in family room on the slab not over basement
- Using mainly Fri-Sun with a few work nights for really cold days to augment oil furnace
- stoves I like: Jotul 550, enviro cabello/Boston 1700,hearthstone Clydesdale, PE summit/alderlea, Regency 3100,quadrafire 3100

Questions:
1. Are the full cast iron stoves much better than the cast over steel inserts?
2. Anyone from nearby area recommend a dealer? I have visited valley stove in canton and green mountain in new Hartford. Haven't been to the store in Avon that sells jotuls and quadrafire yet. They also sell spa stuff I think.
3. Also being new to Ct I am looking for reputable wood suppliers. I have about 2 cord of white oak from dropping a dying tree in yard. Would want to have it split and ready and partially seasoned.
4. Concerned about the Jotul being a flush mount in that it won't radiate the heat as much. Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks again in advance for your time!
Steve

Are the full cast iron stoves much better than the cast over steel inserts?
not at all i would actually say if anything it would be the opposite

I don't live anywhere close to CT, but can politely advise to get your wood cut, split, & stacked ASAP so it will be ready to burn (maybe) by next year. Even though the Regency I3100 is not a cat model, it does like seasoned wood and can make a person frown when it is fed wood that is 21% wet. It is also a pleasure to have when properly seasoned wood is used ..... as are most of the EPA certified stoves/inserts.
The I3100 is basically a flush insert (extends 7") and puts out as much heat as a Warthog delivering hello knock-knocks at either slow or fast speed, coincides with the 3100 fan speeds.
I'm sure some of the other units you have listed will do a fine job also.

Reactions: CT Steve
Concerned about the Jotul being a flush mount in that it won't radiate the heat as much. Am I worried about nothing
Flush mount looks great and serves a purpose but if the layout allows it get a stove than extends onto the hearth. You will get more heat and will work better during power outages. In addition the fireboxes of stoves that project onto the hearth will often allow N/S loading which can be useful.

Welcome. If you are talking about inserts, most are steel even if they have cast iron facades. That goes for the Jotul, PE Alderlea, Enviro Boston, etc.. If you like the cast iron front also look at the Hampton HI300 which is made by Regency.

The firewood should have been split and stacked last spring at the latest. Starting now consider kiln dried wood or a solid brick/log option.

Oh OK great I plan to buy at least 3 cords in the next few weeks and maybe a ton of eco bricks. Are the stoves I mentioned OK to feed those bricks? Def want one that sticks out into the hearth.

Poor firewood quality (unseasoned) is the number one source of frustration and difficulty for new burners. Most wood sellers will tell you and probably believe that their wood is seasoned. In reality its rare to be able to purchase sufficiently dry wood which normally takes a year or more to season after it has been split.

Bricks will work in all stoves although some manufacturers warn about theie use because used incorrectly some people have over-fired. Read what you can here about it and ask questions but often mixing marginally seasoned wood and some bricks is a workable plan.

^^what he said^^

Status
Not open for further replies.