New Harman Allure 50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

quickrch

Mar 28, 2009
Northern, VA
I installed the Harman last week. I do miss the looks of our old Avalon but I don't miss the buzzing sound or the constant adjustment. Harman is quieter but not silent and I do like the remote sensor.

I had a scare when it fired up the first time (floor model sat for year) and the exhaust fan let out a squeal) and shut it off immediately before it fired up. Called the dealer and asked if I should have lubricated it. Nope, not serviceable. They said to turn it on and let it run. Turned it back on and the squeal went away and it settled in with a little hum. I went in the back and hand tightened the three mounting bolts with a nut driver (one was a little lose) and the hum went away (mostly). I am wondering if anyone knows the torque specks for those mounting screws. The stove is quieter than my last but I wonder if I should have tightened the fan more. I did hand tight with a screwdriver like nut driver...not a ratchet so no leverage. I am sure I could tighten them more but don't want to stress the bolts or over compress the rubber bushings.

I am attaching a few pictures. I got the piping to work. I did a cleanout on the end near the stove because my wall thimble was higher and I was worried about ash building up near the back of the stove. I have a chimney cleanout too. I don't know if I should use both. I used silicon and tape...tape doesn't look nice but I have no-one to blame but me. The clean out lets a little smoke in during a cold start...may tape it and just remove annually to clean. Tape doesn't look great that's my only complaint. My chimney goes up outside another 28 feet or so...so plenty of draft.

I love the scheduler and the timing and remote sensor. Don't love the price but I can see why Harman owners are happy. Very happy, I hope it'll run for decades to come.

stove2.jpg stove3.jpg stove1.jpg

Reactions: railfanron
I got $400 off for a discount but otherwise just the MSRP-400. So high $4000's plus tax. I installed myself.

Good looking stove in the White, very happy with my Allure going into my 4th season. Congrats

Reactions: quickrch