New Harman P68 torch like flame normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Corydel2747

Aug 27, 2016
Hollidaysburg, PA
I have a new to me used Harman p68 2009 model. Excellent shape and I just installed. I fired it up tonight and I assumed it would have a gentle fireplace like flame but it seems like it's burning like a blow torch is this normal? I know you can adjust the feed rate and distribution blower speed by the different settings but I haven't read anywhere that you can adjust the combustion blower without messing with the circuit board. It just appears to me like it's getting too much combustion air but I'm not a professional. Maybe this is just normal and I'm not used to a Harman.

Pellet stoves normally have a an aggressive looking flame because of the combustion air drawn thru the burnpot.
Post a pic of the flame in your unit & one of us Harman owners will let you know if it's normal or not.

Whole pellets should not be getting blown off the burn pot, you will see some sparklers going off. If some pellets are stirring around on the burn pot, that is pretty normal. But no it won't be calm looking like a fireplace fire.

Sometimes the fire has eaten a hole letting in more air into an area. Throat erosion has been known and sometimes time burn pot gasket failure